Lundi, 17 Décembre 2018
Latest news
Main » North Korea missile launch fails, says South Korean military

North Korea missile launch fails, says South Korean military

16 Avril 2017

A fresh North Korean missile test failed when it exploded after launch Sunday, the USA military said, a day after Pyongyang publicly showcased its ballistic arsenal at a giant military parade.

It also comes hot on the heels of a North Korean military parade which included what appeared, at least, to be a trio of intercontinental ballistic missiles, perhaps the U.S.'s foremost concern about the authoritarian state's military capabilities.

The failed test was conducted as US Vice President Mike Pence was expected to arrive in Seoul to celebrate Easter with the American military contingent deployed there.

A nuclear-powered United States aircraft carrier group is now making its way towards the region, prompted by concerns over the regimes missile and nuclear testing in defiance of UN sanctions.

North Korea also accused the United States of attempting to "blackmail" the country with its missile strike on a Syrian airbase last week.

The attempted missile launch has also been detected by the United States military, which said it "blew up nearly immediately" after the launch at 9:21pm GMT.

"Kim Jong Un had planned a fight with the US, but chose to give up the plan", said North Korea defector and analyst Ahn Chan-il with the World Institute for North Korean Studies.

South Korean and USA intelligence officials are trying to determine what type of missile was used Sunday.

He said: "We will respond to an all-out war with an all-out war and a nuclear war with our style of a nuclear attack".

Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has been briefed by his U.S. equivalent General James Mattis on American options for dealing with North Korea in recent weeks, The Sunday Times said. The timing of the test, coinciding with Pence's trip and a day after the military parade, would suggest deliberate defiance.

Pyongyang is under multiple sets of United Nations sanctions over its atomic and ballistic missile programmes, and has ambitions to build a rocket capable of delivering a warhead to the US mainland -- something US President Donald Trump has vowed "won't happen".

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) stated that the attempted launch was conducted from the area near North Korea's eastern port city of Sinpo, but likely ended in a failure. That missile flew about 60 km (40 miles) but what United States officials said appeared to be a liquid-fuelled, extended-range Scud missile only travelled a fraction of its range before spinning out of control.

"I have great confidence that China will properly deal with North Korea".

On Friday, China's national airline, Air China, also canceled some flights to the North Korean capital, Pyongyang, citing poor demand.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un waves to people attending the military parade on Saturday.

Pyongyang showed off two new intercontinental ballistic missile-sized canisters as well as displaying its submarine-launched ballistic missile and a land-based version of the same for the first time, according to analysts.

The ministry said it was analysing the test for further details.

It was not clear whether it was a long-range ballistic missile, but the attempted launch in South Hamkyung Province, near a major submarine base at Sinpo, was a clear sign of the secretive country's continuing attempts to develop an aggressive weapons program. "Trump is always making provocations with his aggressive words", Han Song Ryol said.

If North Korea has ICBMs, it could give it the ability to strike targets in the mainland USA and Europe.

North Korea missile launch fails, says South Korean military