After wrapping up an excellent showing in their first road trip of the season, the Orioles will now fly back to Camden to take on the reigning AL East Champion Boston Red Sox for a three-game set at home. A near beanball. Harsh talk in the clubhouse.
Red Sox: Utility player Brock Holt was placed on the 10-day DL with vertigo.
Pedroia (leg) is out of the lineup for Saturday's game against the Orioles.
Pedroia watched from the dugout for a second straight day Sunday with knee and ankle injuries. Pedroia ended up injuring his ankle, and he has missed the last two games as he awaits an MRI.
"That's on them", Machado said. I don't know what hit the side of my knee. There was some initial confusion on whether Machado was first hit on the helmet, but the ball clearly hit his bat. The ball hit Machado and rolled foul, and plate umpire Andy Fletcher tossed Barnes. When you're cleaned out, beyond second base, and the runner never held second base completely, to me the rule failed tonight.
"There was legitimate concern the moment it took place", manager John Farrell said prior to Sunday's game. If Machado was really looking to hurt him, he could have done much worse.
Machado seemed to accept what Pedroia is saying then points to his helmet, suggesting he did not appreciate the location of the pitch more than anything.
"People are going to think what they want", Barnes said. "I think anytime you see a pitch up around the head, it's a risky pitch".
With Farrell fired up, Red Sox third base coach Brian Butterfield was as well.
This is the slide from Machado on Pedey. He mouthed the words "It's not me", evidently trying to show he was not seeking revenge.
"I had nothing to do with that".
Since there are no lie detectors in baseball, it's impossible to know with complete certainty whether a pitcher is lying when he says he never meant to throw at a player. I just saw him go past the bag and Pedroia fall down.
Pedroia appears to tell Machado "it's not me".
The Orioles visit Fenway for a four-game series next week, May 1-4.
"That's the beauty of this team", Mancini said. "We didn't agree with what happened, we didn't appreciate it but we can't let those things dwell".
Benintendi was 5-for-5, the first time in his career he's had more than three hits in a game.
- Hardy has been nearly as hot as of late, going 10-for-28 (.357) with three doubles, one home run and five RBI over his last seven contests. The left-hander allowed three runs, five hits and three walks while striking out six in six innings. Rodriguez, who was traded to Boston for left-handed reliever Andrew Miller in July 2014, walked five and struck out seven in six innings.
After Jones followed with a single to right field, Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel entered and forced Machado to pop out to second base for his seventh save of the season.
- IPL 10 has been our worst season, says RCB's Travis Head
- Puerto Rico Requests Bankruptcy Protection
- Warriors top Jazz 102-91, lead 3-0
- Canelo vs. GGG Officially Announced for Sept 16th
- The real problem with the US Health Care Bill
- China's Xi congratulates Macron on French election win
- Emmanuel Macron, un nouveau président pour la France
- Determined Ducks aim for different result vs. Oilers
- Deeply Saddened By Allegation Of Corruption Charges On Arvind Kejriwal: Hazare
- Price defends cutting almost $1 trillion from Medicaid