A day after clearing India's participation in the Champions Trophy, BCCI today announced the squad for the ICC event beginning on June 1 in England and Wales, a report by ANI said.
Rohit returned from a thigh injury and the right-hander will be joined by southpaw Shikhar Dhawan, who owes his own comeback primarily to a shoulder injury for Lokesh Rahul. MSK Prasad-led panel of selectors team announcement brings a great relief for all the Indians fans who were in amidst about India taking part in this years champion trophy.
The playoffs start in England with India taking on Pakistan on June 4. With the help of Kohli's unbeaten 66, India had chased a meagre 119 off 15.5 overs.
India, the defending champions, is in Group B with Pakistan, South Africa and Sri Lanka.
His ability to dominate matches against all kinds of opposition will help India as he can provide the flawless base for the rest of the batsmen in the middle order including Dhoni and Yuvraj to shine. He will have the support of MS Dhoni and Kedar Jadhav, who impressed a lot in the recent time with his batting performance.
The selectors could have picked wicketkeeper batsman Rishabh Pant as the x-factor player just to add some zest to the mix as he looks on top of his game with the bat. Other pacers in the team are Umesh Yadav and Jasprit Bumrah.
Hardik Pandya: Mumbai Indians player Pandya bagged the seam-bowling allrounder's spot. Meanwhile, Shami, despite being hampered by injuries, has taken 87 wickets in 47 match, at an average of 24.80 and economy 5.54. "We respect IPL but in the longer format, we have to also consider the English conditions that we are playing in". His contribution as keeper can not be matched.
"If I keep performing well, I believe those performances won't be ignored".
Virat Kohli (Captain): Even though the Indian captain hasn't been in form in the current Indian Premier League, run-machine Kohli was in a sensational form throughout the home season of 2016-17. Along with Kuldeep, these four are also on the standby list. We discussed Kuldeep. He narrowly missed out, but has a big role to play in future. "The franchise was magnanimous enough to accept our request to rest him", Prasad explained.
- Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn probe
- China inks agreements with 14 int'l organizations on B&R cooperation
- Kuwait backs call to extend oil output cuts
- Government and Microsoft criticised as threat continues — NHS cyberattack
- Emmanuel Macron appoints centre-right Edouard Philippe as Prime Minister of France
- 'Of course the Australians have better healthcare than we do - everybody does'
- Boston Celtics at Washington Wizards - 5/7/17 NBA Playoffs Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Let Joe Know: Your computer may still be vulnerable to cyber attack
- Celtics advance to Eastern Conference finals to face Cleveland
- Microsoft Releases Windows Ransomware Patch, Blasts NSA for Malware Stockpile