Alvarez scored a decision victory in front of 20,510 fans inside the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas Saturday night over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Alvarez was rarely tested against Chavez Jr and Golovkin does not see him as a serious threat to his crown.
Breaking: Canelo Álvarez will fight Gennady Golovkin for the Middleweight Championship on September 16.
Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) now holds the unified World Boxing Association (WBA), World Boxing Council (WBC), International Boxing Federation (IBF) and International Boxing Organization (IBO) middleweight titles. And after seeing GGG fail to earn the knockout against his last opponent, Daniel Jacobs, de la Hoya definitely considered this the ideal time to book the fight.
Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) Chairman & CEO Oscar de la Hoya said the long-awaited Alvarez-Golovkin fight is likely to happen in September this year. They are the only two Mexican-born fighters to win a middleweight title (160-pound limit).
But while last nights "Mexican War" was a dud, the same can not be said about the impending biggest fight of the year.
Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) showed off his skills right from the opening bell, turning a highly-touted fight against Chavez Jr. The 26-year-old occasionally would lean back into the ropes and take punches from Chavez, only to quickly regain control with uppercuts and jabs. And his body had to hurt too, because Canelo pummeled it throughout the fight.
"I go back to the Mayweather fight".
"First, I consider myself a person of strong mental strength, and I knew I had to focus". Saturday's night HBO pay-per-view showdown may not be for a title, but plenty is at stake.
Perhaps his best right hand against Chavez came in the sixth round and that hand speed will be a problem for any fighter. "I have gotten calls from everywhere, from Dubai to the United Kingdom where (Anthony) Joshua and (Wladimir) Klitschko just fought". Alvarez responded to a question about possibly ignoring Chavez.
"I never sit down during sparring and it is not necessary there and it wasn't necessary here". I've had hard fights, and that will no doubt be a tough fight.
Saturday's fight was the fifth time since 2010 that Alvarez has fought on the weekend of May 5, and he has won all five fights. "I can do many things, not just knock people out".
- Home Court Mastery of Celtics Over Wizards by Winning all Nine Games
- Is Trump Recording Oval Office Visitors? Speculation Grows as Impeachment Talk Swirls
- Worldwide cyber-attack "Wannacry"
- Support for Emmanuel Macron's party grows before French parliamentary election
- North Korea celebrates longest-range ballistic missile test
- Spurs to start Jonathan Simmons over Kawhi Leonard for Game 2
- Microsoft Criticizes Government Creation of Hacking Tools
- Warriors Trounce Spurs For 2-0 Series Lead
- Nearly arrested? Mike Brown was just trying to get to Game 2
- Important Steps to Prepare for the WannaCry Ransomware Attack