Out of the seven gender-neutral categories with solo winners at MTV's gala Sunday night, women won three - best actor in a movie (Watson), best actor in a show (Millie Bobbie Brown) and best hero (Taraji P. Henson), CBS News reported.
For Watson, a strong supporter of women's rights and a UN Women Global Goodwill Ambassador, the award was particularly meaningful, especially considering it is the first of its kind. In the ceremony's other gender-neutral acting categories, "The Walking Dead" star Jeffrey Dean won for best villain ahead of Allison Williams in "Get Out" and Jared Leto in "Suicide Squad".
Beauty and the Beast was the Movie of the Year, with its star, Emma Watson, receiving the Best Actor in a Movie award.
Beauty and the Beast and hit Netflix series Stranger Things were given top prizes at the MTV Movie & TV awards on Sunday (07May17).
Amy Doyle, the general manager of MTV, VH1, and Logo said the decision to eliminate male and female acting categories was a "cultural statement", and the driving force behind the change was the MTV audience which is "uniformly rejecting obsolete labels and embracing fluidity".
Image caption Disney's live-action fairytale Beauty and the Beast also won best movie
Emma Watson star of Beauty and the Beast on the red carpet.
All the Wild Fashion: Any MTV awards show is destined to bring some insane fashion, and the first MTV Movie & TV Awards didn't disappoint. Emma also thanked Asia Kate Dillion who played the first non-binary character on TV for presenting her with the award.
She concluded her speech by thanking her fans and well-wishers.
Former Harry Potter actress Emma Watson created history as she won the first MTV Award that did not separate nominees based on gender.
Adam Devine hosted the proceedings and, tongue-in-cheek, described himself as a progressive personality before declaring, "I love Hugh Jackman". And I want to thank every single person who voted for me. The arrival of Eleven, who turns up in the town unsure of where she's come from and unable to speak much at all, adds another piece to the puzzle.
- ACLU files open records request for Comey memo
- Ransomware affects 150 countries, businesses cautioned for future cyber attacks
- Budget 2017: Banks and government at war over 'lazy' banking levy
- Americans Support Impeaching Donald Trump More Than They Oppose It, Poll Finds
- What Are The Raptors Going To Do With Kyle Lowry This Summer?
- Sami claims role in release of girls kidnapped by Boko Haram
- Nicolas Hulot a (enfin) accepté un ministère — Gouvernement Macron
- Celtics advance to Eastern Conference NBA finals
- Stay 4Warned: Severe weather expected several days this week
- Ronaldo breaks through 400 barrier to edge dominant Real closer to title