The Mavericks start the night in the No. 9 spot and are hoping to move into the top three for the first time since taking eventual co-Rookie of the Year Jason Kidd in 1994.
The Lakers moved up one spot to second to hold onto their pick.
L.A. only has one team to worry about when it comes to grabbing available talent before them and if recent reports of Fultz going No.1 overall are true, the Lakers will have the choice of snagging Ball at No.2.
And when the game was over and the Celtics won, their energy was indeed a key part of the team's victory. The Nets finished with the league's worst record at 20-62 under first-year general manager Sean Marks, who replaced Billy King in February 2016.
The Celtics obtained the pick from the Nets in 2013 and had a 25 percent of getting the top pick.
All is not lost, as the Philadelphia 76ers now own the third overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.
Phoenix get the fourth pick while the Sacramento Kings round out the top 5. Had they fallen out of the top three, they would have lost their pick to the 76ers.
"You see, you don't know what's been going on in L.A. They've been like 'Oh my god, we blew it, '" Johnson said.
According to Shelburne, the Lakers are said to be considering several players with their second and 28th picks. They drafted center Joel Embiid third overall in the 2014 NBA Draft. 'In this day's National Basketball Association, picks are very, very valuable. It has been rumored that Bledsoe would request a trade had the Suns drafted a point guard been selected.
While Ball is the most likely selection with the no. 2 pick, the Lakers may end up with point guard Markelle Fultz out of Washington. They could draft Jayson Tatum (Duke), a 6-foot-8 small forward but his ability to score in bunches and defend make him a coveted prospect. He averaged 14.6 points, 7.6 assists and six rebounds per game. Williams-Goss scored in the double digits twenty times this season and also shot a West Coast Conference-best 65-percent from the floor. Russell is an attractive piece for any team looking for a point guard not only because of his youth and potential, but also because of his cheap contract. Having a player like Ball who can set up others should only improve that offensive balance. He's now the Los Angeles Lakers beat writer for Sports Out West.
- Support for Emmanuel Macron's party grows before French parliamentary election
- No rush to Trump judgment, Ryan says; Dems demand deep probe
- Boston Celtics win NBA draft lottery, Lakers second
- Ducks overcome early deficit, stingy Predators goalie to tie series
- Google's newest vision-based product is here to make your life easier
- Expansion of ban on larger electronics on airlines likely
- Senate intel panel asks fired Federal Bureau of Investigation chief Comey to testify
- Hackers steal another cyber weapon from American spy agency
- Chelsea: Phil Thompson reveals secret to Antonio Conte's success
- Republican voices grow for independent Russian Federation probe