David Brock, the founder of the left-leaning media watchdog, delivered a broadside assault in a 2012 book, "The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine".
"No one did more to change the media landscape than Roger Ailes, but no media executive did more to divide America", said Joe Peyronnin, a former network news executive who worked for Fox before Ailes was hired to launch the news channel. The death has been ruled accidental and there was no evidence of foul play. Yet without him, friends and foes agree, the GOP's current control of Washington and statehouses nationwide may not have been possible.
Roger Ailes, former chairman and CEO of Fox News and Fox Television Stations, died on Thursday.
Elizabeth Ailes statement said, "Roger was a loving husband to me, to his son Zachary, and a loyal friend to many". He was a constant source of sensible advice, help, friendship in need and just a great deal of fun to be with. How ironic since many people feel the same way about Donald Trump.
Shister, now in her tenth year as a senior writing fellow at the University of Pennsylvania, says Ailes superbly blended politics and cable in a 24/7 format.
In 2009, Fox anchors reported incorrectly that the Obama administration was pursuing concentration camps.
"Was he a capable propagandist? Yes. May he rest in peace", conservative media watchdog Brent Bozell.
Ailes molded the network to run like a political campaign operation, with primetime shows that were unabashedly conservative and hosts who openly espoused Republican talking points.
"Roger Ailes founded one of the most important and successful media outlets in American history", said conservative radio host Laura Ingraham.
That experience began a decades-long dual track in which Ailes cast long shadows over both television and politics, culminating in his founding of Fox News. "And, you know, he went out in such a sad way, but who doesn't have sins?"
Few of the reactions on the right acknowledged the accusations levied against Ailes that led to his resignation at Fox News, and those that did chose to minimize them in a "nobody's perfect" fashion. "He made the Republican control of Congress possible".
But Ailes' reign would not make it to Election Day.
Ailes started Fox News nearly from scratch in 1996 and built it into not just a cable news ratings leader but a profound influence on the right wing of American politics.
- Isco Says It Is Easy To Play With Cristiano Ronaldo
- Microsoft issues WannaCry security patch for XP, blasts U.S. for 'stockpiling vulnerabilities'
- Justice Official Knew Trump Would Fire Comey, Senators Say
- Trump decries 'witch-hunt' after special counsel picked for probe
- More immigrants arrested, fewer deported under Trump
- Media Stocks Slide As Investors Fear Turmoil From Trump Disclosures
- Joe Lieberman is front-runner for Federal Bureau of Investigation director
- Pound V euro: GBP strengthens against EUR after Macron French election victory
- Government activates mechanism to prevent cyber attack
- S Carolina's unemployment rate drops slightly to 4.3 percent