Ailes, who reshaped television news over five decades in the TV and entertainment industry, was 77.
Authorities say Ailes died of bleeding on the brain caused by an earlier fall at home. His cause of death has yet to be released.
The Fox co-founder, a consultant to Republican presidents and a central figure in the conservative USA political movement, was ousted from the network in July a year ago after a sexual harassment lawsuit from former news host Gretchen Carlson. Ailes denied the allegations, saying the reason her contract was not renewed was due to "disappointingly low ratings".
The conservative channel gave the far right a voice on television and Fox News became the No. 1 network within six years.
New York Rep. Peter King said he had "some differences" with Ailes but that doesn't diminish his impact on news and politics.
This revelation started a flood-over 20 women in all accused Ailes of sexual harassment over the following month, including Fox News star anchor Megyn Kelly.
Murdoch called Ailes "a great patriot" in a statement Thursday.
In 1996, Ailes helped launch Fox News, which dramatically changed the media landscape.
Original story: More details are emerging about the death of former Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes, whose death was confirmed in a statement from family members this morning.
Since Ailes sudden departure, Fox News has experienced even more upheaval. Ailes worked as an adviser to the presidential hopeful at the time. He had a profound influence on American politics and the news media, which he transformed.
He continued by writing that he wished people would leave Ailes' family and legacy in peace, but he doubted that would happen. He abruptly resigned last July.
His wife Elizabeth announced his death in a short statement read out on Fox News by emotional news anchors. He would go on to advise President Ronald Reagan in 1984 and President George H.W. Bush in 1988, according to Folkenflik.
Born in Warren, Ohio, his big break came in 1967 when Richard Nixon appeared as a guest on a talk show he was working on, persuading the future United States president about the power of television. After leaving Fox News previous year amid a sexual harassment scandal, he also advised Donald Trump's presidential campaign.
Elizabeth Tilson's son, Zachary is 17 years old, born on New Year's Day in 2000.
- Government activates mechanism to prevent cyber attack
- Graham: Russia probe seems to be 'criminal investigation'
- Putin 'Ready to Provide Records' of Lavrov-Trump Exchange
- Louisiana State Police to hold annual memorial ceremonies for National Police Week
- Titans linemen chug beer to hype Predators fans in Game 3
- 'High possibility' of conflict with North
- So far, UI untouched by 'WannaCry' ransomware cyberattack
- NHL Playoffs: Capitals suffocate Penguins with defense, force Game 7
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Villain Might Be Iron Man's Fault
- Mishra on hunger strike; BJP-RSS script, says AAP