The president, in his interview that aired Thursday with NBC News, said his decision to fire Comey was linked to the FBI's ongoing investigation into Russian interference into last year's presidential election as well as any ties between Trump associates and Russian government officials.
White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Tuesday that Mr Rosenstein drafted the memo raising concerns about Mr Comey on his own accord.
"No", Spicer said unequivocally.
President Donald Trump threatened Friday to "cancel all future "press briefings", saying it was impossible for his representatives to be perfectly accurate.
USA media, including The New York Times and The Washington Post, have reported differing accounts of meetings between Trump and Comey before his firing. "As I said for the third time, there is nothing further to add on that".
In the tweet, Trump warned Comey that he may have "tapes" of their conversations he could brandish should Comey go to the media with his account of the events that led to his firing. "That would be ideal".
Democrats have accused Trump of trying to dent the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe by firing Comey, and have called for a special counsel to investigate the Russian Federation issue.
The controversy began this morning, when Trump again took aim at the investigation into his administration and its potential ties to Russian Federation, while blasting the "fake media" and its coverage of the issue.
"Did the president tell Comey he could keep his job if he ended the investigation?" He later stated that he had long planned to fire the director, and accused Comey of being a "showboat". Those comments were flatly denied by acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe during testimony Thursday before a Senate panel. Trump's tweet on the China deal followed the administration's Thursday-evening announcement saying it had agreed with Beijing on improving the China-market access of US beef producers, electronic-payments providers and natural-gas exporters, among others.
White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders insisted the information she and her colleagues offered was consistent. Trump said in a string of Twitter posts.
Asked at the briefing Friday whether Mr. Trump had asked Mr. Comey to pledge his loyalty, Mr. Spicer responded: "No".
According to media reports, the Trump administration is considering four candidates to replace fired FBI Director James Comey. "[Rosenstein] made a recommendation, but regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey".
- Britain worked through night to counter cyber attack on health service: Minister
- Man United legend David Beckham posts awesome tribute to White Hart Lane
- Un titre honorifique sans conséquence juridique — Ministre d'Etat
- Energized Ducks even Western finals, beat Predators 5-3
- Ransomware: WannaCry cyber attack may attack Indian banking system soon, says expert
- Wannacry crisis: hits over 40000 Indian computers
- Microsoft and NSA face off over cyber attack
- Australian conservative government to raise taxes on five biggest banks
- Senators: Deputy AG knew of Comey firing before writing memo
- Android Device Manager is now Find My Device