On March 14 this year, Microsoft released a security update which addressed the vulnerability in the 16-year-old Windows XP operating system that the hackers behind the massive ransomware attack exploited and created havoc in 150 countries.
Following the detection of the WannaCry attack on Friday, "researchers at Proofpoint discovered a new attack linked to WannaCry called Adylkuzz", said Nicolas Godier, a researcher at the computer security firm.
A unsafe new ransomware called "WannaCry" made waves recently, affecting roughly 200,000 systems in more than 150 countries worldwide. If you are unsure whether an email from a client, colleague, or friend was truly sent by that individual, follow up with a phone call before clicking on any link or attachment. If a more recent version of Windows is running on the computer and it stays up-to-date, it should not be vulnerable to the current attack or WannaCry. When it infects a computer, it encrypts files, making them unusable, and demands a ransom to unlock the files.
If your device or network is infected by WannaCry or other ransomware, do not automatically pay the ransom.
Looking at the attackers' Bitcoin wallets they've made $42,000 so far.
"We also know that some of our customers are running versions of Windows that no longer receive mainstream support". Microsoft talking about WannaCry ransomware attack points at government's carelessness. "We need governments to consider the damage to civilians that comes from hoarding these vulnerabilities and the use of these exploits". Whoever is behind the attack could update the ransomware and remove the kill switch. "To protect your computer from such malicious malwares, one should be aware of the security measures and install all necessary updates", Dinesh Yadav, superintendent of police (city), said in a press note.
Most antivirus programs can scan files to see if they might contain ransomware before downloading them.
"It is important to understand that the way these attacks work means that compromises of machines and networks that have already occurred may not yet have been detected", Britain's National Cyber Security Center (NCSC) said in a statement.
- Trump will not announce promised embassy move during Israel trip
- Trump Rules Out Moving Israel Embassy to Jerusalem for Now, Official Says
- Chelsea Manning Posts Photo of Pizza After Release From Prison
- Trump should thank Rosenstein for naming a special counsel
- Celtics Win Draft Lottery for #1 Pick in the June Draft
- Grunge rock icon Chris Cornell dies at 52
- Preds Rally Past Ducks 2-1, Reclaim Series Lead
- Pelosi: Special Counsel Not Enough, White House Needs 'Adult Supervision'
- Health Care Bill Likely to Spend More Time in Senate
- Number 1 seed Celtics land first draft pick in 2017 draft