The Senate estimate the state could generate approximately $400 million in new revenue next year. She later told the Austin Monitor the bill "would really limit Austin's ability to use annexation as a tool to manage growth, even with environmental issues for instance".
The Democratic-led House voted 126-14 Thursday to support the bill, which received unanimous support from the Republican-controlled Senate.
- Towing companies, self-storage operators and collection agencies pushed back Wednesday against a Kansas House plan that would levy sales taxes on their services as the Senate tax committee opened hearings on a bill just passed by the House on Monday that would repeal the sales tax exemptions that now apply to their businesses.
Businesses in the communications field would have to begin paying the tax on their purchases and the tax would also be applied to primary opinion research.
A raise in the food tax would impact border counties the most as people could cross over and get their food from a state without a food tax, Boley said.
"There's recognition by all that we don't have the revenue that we need to meet our obligations", Senate Budget Committee Chairperson Karen Spilka said.
The bill calls for an end to the tax exemption status for telecommunications.
If, as expected, the Senate rejects the proposal, House conferees would likely offer "something to the right" of the tax bill defeated last week, Johnson says, meaning something that makes more modest changes, lessening the likelihood of a veto.
By afternoon the pace slowed considerably.
Oh, and then there was the Post's scoop Wednesday night in which House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said in June 2016 that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Vladimir Putin.
The bill now seems to have support from both Democrats and Republicans in the House.
In particular, it is offensive to me that the Republicans keep referring to their intent to cure the problems of the people who have to work for a living, either in business or government, as the reason why the Senate is doing what they do this session.
"We do not believe that the recommended funding level is sufficient to accomplish college workforce readiness as established by Kansans Can and the desire of the state of Kansas to move forward", said Patricia All, interim superintendent for Olathe Unified School District 233. Residential customers would pay $2.25 per month on each bill and commercial customers $10 a month. "We have got to get a budget out". But we don't think this is the way. On March 24, the AHCA flopped, as the GOP came face-to-face with a deep divide between moderate Republicans and the ultra-conservative Freedom Caucus. If a surcharge is what it takes to adequately fund schools, she says, she'll consider it. The 1-cent cut in the food sales tax would take effect July 1, 2020, offsetting the sales taxes on services. They include towing, pet boarding and bill-collecting.
Irene Hoheusle, with Account Recovery Specialists - a collection agency based in Dodge City, Garden City and Wichita - called the bill potentially devastating. Lawmakers usually suspend rules that require waiting periods before holding floor votes or waiting periods for moving bills between the House and the Senate.
By comparison, the Senate's Tax Reform Act of 2017, passed Tuesday, increases the corporate net income tax to 7 percent, decreases the overall income tax and increases the sales tax to 6.95 percent.
- No politician has been treated more unfairly: Donald Trump
- Celtics Win Draft Lottery for #1 Pick in the June Draft
- Russia's Putin says ready to give transcript of Trump meeting with Lavrov
- Chinese, S. Korean officials meet in attempt to repair ties
- Cyber-security experts bracing themselves for new ransomware attacks
- Preds Rally Past Ducks 2-1, Reclaim Series Lead
- GM to end sales in India, manufacturing in South Africa
- Health Care Bill Likely to Spend More Time in Senate
- US AG issues new criminal charging policy
- Seoul raises possibility of war in Korea as missile crisis builds