The company is cooperating with chipset vendor Qualcomm to build technology optimized for mobile VR, and has teamed up with HTC and Lenovo to bring standalone headsets to market later this year. Google is about to get into this "built-in" territory with Vive and Lenovo, both of which are working on VR devices for the company's Daydream platform.
These headsets come with new WorldSense positional tracking, which basically lets the headset track your movements in space - without the need to install any external sensors.
It added that Samsung's Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphones will be Daydream-ready following a software update this summer. It's expected to cost in the mid-hundreds range, making it financially comparable to the already released Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. True, its presence is still quite limited to this day, but Google is working on expanding Daydream's reach to new horizons.
"Our investments in the web mean that developers can distribute their creations to anyone, regardless of device-whether it's desktops, phones, or VR and AR enabled devices", according to Bavor. This lets Google and hardware makers customize the displays, optics, and sensors to be ideal for virtual reality, he said. Yet none of these apps - Google Earth, Tilt Brush or Job Simulator - are available with the Daydream headset. More details should arrive soon but for now, that's all we have. Additionally, Google announced that LG's next flagship phone coming later this year will also support DayDream - we presume this is the LG V30, which is reportedly featuring an OLED panel, enabling it to pass DayDream certification.
One of the big reasons for this is that OLED displays are needed in order to meet Google's display performance requirements for Daydream.
- Google's New Initiative is to Optimize Android for Low-End Devices
- Wenger's future at Arsenal will be decided after FA Cup final
- 'Alien: Covenant' a satisfying, if somewhat predictable, franchise addition
- Mueller Investigation Will Prolong, Not Halt, Political Controversy Over Russia
- Still running Windows XP? Here's what to do about WannaCrypt ransomware
- Destiny 2 Zavala Story Trailer Released, Watch Here
- Trump says, speaking for himself, there was no collusion with Russia
- Google Goes After Part of Apple's Market
- LeBron, Love help Cavs rout Celtics 117-104 in Game 1
- Jewish Israelis less certain of Trump's support for their state