President Trump called on Muslims around the globe to unite in the war against terrorism. His speech to Muslim leaders was much awaited, especially after him criticizing the community in several times in the past.
Zarif was responding to remarks made by Trump during his visit to Saudi Arabia, in which the USA president called on all nations to work towards isolating Iran.
Trump rode to the White House on the back of strident anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim rhetoric; it is therefore welcome that he struck a conciliatory note in Riyadh. "He considered that the Arab kingdom has shown numerous scenarios and must take into account that in the fight against terrorism, 'pouring the nation's funds to the superpowers never solves the problem", referring to the agreement for 110 billion dollars to buy American weapons. "That means honestly confronting the crisis of Islamic extremism and the Islamists and Islamic terror of all kinds", Trump said.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, speaking to reporters onboard Air Force One, said the US could provide clarifications to Israel about the disclosure but said "I don't know that there's anything to apologise for". "And if you both are willing, we're going to make a deal".
In his first keynote speech overseas, Trump sought to redefine his relationship with the Muslim world and focused on his desire to curb Iran's influence in the region.
Trump also planned to visit the Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem and the Western Wall, an important Jewish holy site. Trump slept very little on the journey, an aide added.
Stamina and exhaustion were key talking points for Trump during the campaign trail, where he repeatedly said that his opponent Hillary Clinton did not have the "physical stamina" to be president.
- Pope Francis Looks Mortified to be Taking Photo With Donald Trump
- Does Trump's Budget Cut Medicaid Funding? No One Seems To Know
- Ariana Grande offers to pay for funerals of Manchester bombing victims
- Durbin rips Republican health care bill after CBO report
- Manchester terror attack probe widens as US leaks grate
- Manchester bomber was in Düsseldorf 4 days before attack
- Father of Manchester Arena bomber denies act of extremism
- How will the NBA Finals play out?
- Trump's alignment with Israel and Saudi against Iran: Here's the catch
- United's Europa league win gave Manchester a lift, says Ferguson