After the private meeting between the two, Pope Francis was introduced to the members of Trump's delegation including his wife Melania, daughter Ivanka, son-in-law Jared Kushner as well as aides Hope Hicks and Dan Scavino.
Immediately after the meeting, the 80-year-old pope held his weekly address to the faithful on St Peter's square while the Trump couple were given a private tour of the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica. But after a half-hour meeting behind closed doors, Francis seemed to have cheered up considerably. The Pope gave Trump a number of texts during their gift exchange, including a 200-page book on the environment. Other non-Catholic staffers gave up their spots so that Catholic staffers could get what might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet a sitting Pope.
Hmmm, or how did Pope Francis look with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto?
"It is my desire that you become an olive tree to construct peace", the pope said, speaking in Spanish.
Asked by European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker as they began talks in front of a battery of cameras if he was exhausted, Trump, 70, said he had "covered a lot of countries, lot of leaders, some great leaders".
Among the many subjects of discussion, Trump and Francis talked about the role of religious communities in alleviating suffering. They possess antithetical stances on big-picture issues like immigration and climate change, and the Pope has long criticized Trump's anti-Muslim speak and his desire to build a wall between the United States and Mexico.
As a symbol of the increased respect for the head of the Catholic Church, now both Trump's personal and presidential Twitter accounts display an image of him sitting across from Pope Francis, smiling.
At the time, Donald Trump had responded by saying the Pope's questioning of his faith was "disgraceful".
SHAPIRO: Any idea what he said that Trump was referencing there? "We had a fantastic meeting". What was it like today for President Trump? Foreign women are not expected to wear headscarves, but the move contradicted President Donald Trump's old criticism of former First Lady Michelle Obama for making a similar decision.
- Celtics star Isaiah Thomas unsure if he'll need hip surgery
- Pentagon to conduct first-ever ICBM intercept test
- Preakness Stakes 2017: Complete finishing order
- Trump asks Mideast to extinguish extremism
- Manchester bombing case : United Kingdom police make 2 more arrests
- United Kingdom police hunt Manchester bomber's network, angered by U.S. leaks
- UK police make 11th arrest over Manchester bomb attack
- Manu Ginobili on retirement: 'It feels like they want me to retire'
- Predators might get Fisher back for Final
- Djokovic and Nadal could meet in French Open semifinals