"And if we can, that's great".
But with the world's sixth largest economy and a thriving tech sector, California hopes to hold together some of the global alliances now frayed by Trump's decision. CBS News' Major Garrett confirmed Wednesday that the president was expected to pull out. Under the terms of the agreement, the USA will be able to give its withdrawal notice in 2019 and exit the deal in 2020.
World leaders criticised the decision, with Prime Minister Theresa May telling Mr Trump in a phone call of her "disappointment" at his decision to pull America out of the Paris Agreement. "Whatever you believe about the future of our earth, tell your reps to do their jobs and push for a sit down with POTUS to figure this out".
Now, the USA joins only Syria and Nicaragua as countries not in the agreement (the agreement did not do enough for the Nicaraguan government to sign on).
Moe says the economies of both countries are so connected that it's important to move in lockstep on policies that can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The participating countries vow to reduce carbon emissions, but it is up to them to decide how to do so. The Obama administration, for example, had committed the U.S.to reducing carbon emissions by 26 to 28 percent by 2025. Those countries were counting on the funds to help them meet their own climate change goals.
By abandoning the world's chief effort to slow the tide of global warming, Trump was fulfilling a top campaign pledge but he was also breaking from many of America's staunches allies, who have expressed alarm about the decision.
Last fall, Obama hailed the agreement as a "turning point for our planet". Mark Warner, also a Democrat, called the decision "a historic mistake" that will undermine America's position in the world.
In today's announcement, Trump did not mention the Chinese hoax and did not deny that climate change is happening. He said American withdrawal "represents a reassertion of American sovereignty".
H said the deal gives advantages to countries like India and China.
Trump's controversial decision deals a blow to one of Obama's legacy accomplishments.
The U.S. decision to withdraw from Paris Agreement on climate change is "a major disappointment" for global efforts to reduce greenhouse emissions and promote worldwide security, spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Stephane Dujarric told reporters here on Thursday.
- USA pulling out of Paris deal may instead make China great again
- Venus Williams hints Serena is expecting a baby girl
- OPEC: when meeting expectations are simply not enough
- Cleveland Cavaliers' Deron Williams embraces first-ever trip to NBA Finals
- Cuomo: State will abide by Paris accord regardless of Trump
- US Mayors pledge to adopt goals of Paris Agreement
- States seek to fill the void after Trump dumped the climate pact
- Google celebrates commencement of ICC Champions Trophy 2017 with an interactive doodle
- Exiting Paris, Trump leaves deal shaped by U.S. priorities
- Why Concerns About Trump's Paris Accord Pullout Are Overblown