The plane had made three successful bombing runs before dropping the wayward bomb.
The Maute militants, who pledged allegiance to ISIS in 2015, engaged in a violent encounter with the military and police on May 23 after a failed raid which aimed to capture local Islamist leader Isnilon Hapilon. The Philippine army affirmed that 90 percent of the city's areas were freed from the militants.
FOREIGN FIGHTERS KILLED According to the defense chief, eight foreign militants - two Saudis, two Malaysians, two Indonesians, one Yemeni and a Chechen - were neutralized by the military in the course of the week-long standoff in Marawi.
Adding to concerns about the rising threat of IS, Lorenzana said militants from Saudi Arabia, Chechnya, Yemen, Malaysia and Indonesia were among the dead.
"We still have more than one day so I'm sure the troops will do the best they can to accomplish the deadline", he said.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte touches his head during his speech at the swearing in of officials of various municipalities at the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila, Philippines, on Thursday, June 1, 2017.
The gunmen are also holding hostages, some of whom have been forced to speak on propaganda videos for the militants calling for troops to withdraw. He did not elaborate.
"We're not negotiating with terrorists".
"Indeed there was planning that was involved even prior to our entry to arrest Hapilon...when we got information he was holed up in the area", said Philippine military spokesman Brigadier-General Restituto Padilla.
Militants from Southeast Asia fighting for ISIS in Iraq and Syria released a video a year ago urging sympathizers to pick up the fight in the southern Philippines.
He said the corridor will be implemented by the government and the main separatist group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which has signed a peace agreement in exchange for Muslim autonomy in Mindanao, the southern third of the Philippines where a Muslim rebellion has raged for decades. Eyewitnesses who fled the scene have told reporters that ISIS terrorists, many of them as young as thirteen, are forcing civilians to recite Islamic prayers or be killed.
Developing: as we go to press reports are emerging of a live fire incident at the Resorts World Manila entertainment precinct.
- US Mayors dump Trump, pledge to adopt Paris pact goals
- How to watch Game 1 of Cavs-Warriors
- 3000 to sweep series vs. Golden State Warriors
- Here's who the experts are predicting to win the NBA Finals
- ICC Champions Trophy 2017, Australia Vs New Zealand
- House Lawmakers Won't Vote On State Budget Before Session Ends
- Trump Has Multiple Escape Routes From Paris Climate Accord
- For reasons beyond goaltending, Sullivan should bring back Fleury in Game 7
- Trump says US to quit Paris climate pact; allies voice dismay
- Theresa May 'Disappointed' By Donald Trump's Paris Climate Pact Exit