Trump argued that complying with the deal unfairly put a burden on the USA economy and workers.
PARIS French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday categorically ruled out any renegotiation of the Paris climate accord and said U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw would harm American interests and citizens.
Trump's decision was also met with criticism from California Gov.
The US Climate Alliance will also act as a forum to sustain and strengthen existing climate programs, promote the sharing of information and best practices, and implement new programs to reduce carbon emissions from all sectors of the economy.
"We are all custodians of this world, and that is why Canada will continue to work with the U.S.at the state level, and with other USA stakeholders, to address climate change and promote clean growth".
Trump said the deal is more about letting other countries take advantage of the US and lining the pockets of the developing world than it is climate change. "As someone who cares deeply about the environment, which I do, I can not in good conscience support a deal that punishes the United States".
The governors say they're committed to reducing USA emissions by 26 to 28 percent from 2005 levels.
California Governor Jerry Brown called Trump's decision possibly "tragic" and a step "backwards" for the US.
Trump said Thursday that the US will withdraw from the landmark global agreement to curb carbon-dioxide emissions. By withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement, Donald Trump has detached himself and the U.S. from facing more legal challenges in future regarding climate change.
Under former President Barack Obama, the USA had agreed under the accord to reduce polluting emissions by about 1.6 billion tons by 2025.
Leaving the 2015 Paris accord would hardly translate into a substantial increase in new jobs as the fossil fuel industries were highly automated, Xinhua said.
- Warriors smash Cavaliers in NBA Finals opener
- Durant may take less money to keep Warriors intact
- European Union leaders rule out new talks on Paris climate deal
- May, Corbyn clash over Brexit plans with UK vote 1 week away
- NY leadership to honour Paris Accord with executive orders
- After Manchester Attack, Ariana Grande Still Expected in Bangkok
- What withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement means
- Lewis Hamilton not looking to be Mercedes' No 1 driver
- Spicer: WH Referring 'All Matters' on Russian Federation to Outside Counsel
- Watch NBA Finals Game 1