With superstar sister Serena away pregnant, it was left to 36-year-old Venus to carry the standard for the Williams family at Roland Garros on Wednesday, with a second-round thumping of Japan's Kurumi Nara.
Serena is a three-time champion at Roland Garros.
Mattek-Sands, however, kept her cool, despite Kvitova's minibreak and watched as the Czech conceded defeat with her ninth double fault, leaving her to plan her return to Wimbledon.
She beat Venus in that final. "I know he is, from upstairs", Johnson said. I don't know how well I'm going to do, because I don't know what to do.
Williams will next face either Richel Hogenkamp of the Netherlands or Elise Mertens of Belgium. "It was a little bit tricky there, but, you know, just try to still control the match. I feel good in this heat".
First of all, the athlete referred to the baby as a "she", so, yeah, Serena is definitely having a girl. Nevertheless, Nara came up with some solid groundstrokes and troubled Williams with them, forcing errors out of her, getting the nervy service hold in the opening game as she managed to fend off four break points.
Murray, who was runner-up at Roland Garros past year, has been struggling in 2017 and looked uncomfortable at times during the opening set.
"I don't give a damn what she says".
World No 94 Linetter will play in the third round of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time after beating 29th-seed Ana Konjuh 6-0 7-5.
Meanwhile defending French Open champion Garbine Muguruza had to claw her way back from a set down to survive a scare from talented Anett Kontaveit and move into the third round with 6-7, 6-4, 6-2 win.
Taking the ball early, Bolelli hurried Thiem into mistiming his trademark booming groundstrokes as the Austrian an outside bet for title and the only player to have beaten Rafael Nadal on clay this year sent a succession of crosscourt backhands wide.
- Ariana Grande to perform at benefit concert in Manchester
- Weather.com trolls Trump's climate decision
- President Trump Withdraws from Paris Climate Accord: "Handicaps US Economy"
- Google celebrates commencement of ICC Champions Trophy 2017 with an interactive doodle
- Gov. Cuomo forms 'climate alliance' with California, Washington
- NBA Finals Preview: How Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors match up
- Cleveland Cavaliers' Deron Williams embraces first-ever trip to NBA Finals
- A look at the damage of Illinois' 3-year budget impasse
- US Mayors pledge to adopt goals of Paris Agreement
- Trump announces USA withdrawal from Paris climate deal