As interior minister from 2010 to 2016, May oversaw a drop of 20,000 in the number of police officers in England and Wales, which her main opponent, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, said should never have happened and warranted her resignation.
(AP Photo/Tim Ireland). A child looks at the floral tributes after a vigil for victims of Saturday's attack in London Bridge, at Potter's Field Park in London, Monday, June 5, 2017. The Italian intelligence had apparently flagged up to its British counterparts worries about the third attacker, the Moroccan-Italian Youssef Zaghba.
The Metropolitan Police say the body was found Tuesday downstream from the bridge. They stressed that while they believe they know the attackers' identities, "formal identification is yet to take place".
Xavier Thomas, 45, is thought to have been struck by the terrorists' van on the bridge and witnesses reported him being thrown into the water.
Police said earlier that witness accounts suggested he might have been thrown into the river.
Nathalie Cros Brohan, sister of Mr Thomas's girlfriend Christine Delcros, posted on Facebook on Wednesday morning that the family "fear the worst".
Butt, a 27-year-old British national born in Pakistan, had appeared in a British TV documentary broadcast last year called "The Jihadis Next Door".
In a statement, authorities said the suspect was arrested on "suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorist acts". They have not been identified or charged. Twelve people have so far been arrested.
A spate of terror attacks on British soil has moved security into the spotlight ahead of key parliamentary elections slated for Thursday.
Police identified Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, a Pakistan-born individual who had been previously investigated by MI5 and United Kingdom police and Rachid Redouane, 30, who is believed to be of Moroccan or Libyan origin, as two of the London attackers on Monday night.
Italian authorities said Zaghba had been stopped and questioned in Italy but had not been charged with any crime.
- Cleveland Cavaliers search for production outside of "Big Three"
- London Attackers' Names: Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane identified in London Bridge killings
- Introducing Apple's Homepod - will you be purchasing?
- Simona Halep Crushes Carla Suarez Navarro Enter Quarters
- United Kingdom police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation
- Trump offers to host feuding Gulf nations at White House
- Here's our first look at Apple's new HomePod smart speaker
- UAE threatens 15 years in prison for expressions of 'sympathy' with Qatar
- Did Stephen Curry Double Dribble On This Play Against LeBron James?
- Qatar Says in Talks with Iran to Provide Food Supplies