Police Director for National Capitol Region Police Office (NCRPO) Oscar D. Albayalde holds up a photograph of gunman Jessie Javier Carlos who on June 2 attacked Resorts World Manila and killed 37 after setting fire to the casino, during a press conference in Manila on June 4, 2017.
"This could have probably triggered him", Mr. Albayalde said, describing Mr. Carlos as a high roller who typically played with a minimum bet of 40,000 Philippine pesos ($808). The Philippines has faced Muslim insurgencies for decades, though much of the violence has occurred in the troubled south.
"We're asking for your apology".
"My son was a good person, but changed after he started going to casinos", his mother, Teodora Carlos, said tearfully.
More than 12,000 people were at the complex during the attack, according to Resorts World.
The gunman who went on a deadly rampage at a metro Manila gaming complex was a Filipino gambling addict who had been recently barred from the country's casinos, Philippine police said.
"The Ombudsman also took note of Carlos' huge loans", an official news release issued by the DOF-RIPS on May 7, 2014 and posted on its website read. She was so distressed, she entered in a wheelchair and kept her head, hidden by a cream-colored towel, down on a desk as she sat beside the police.
Albayalde said Carlos had a bank account with an outstanding debt of P4 million, and several other non-bank related debt. Carlos' family had grown so concerned they had asked casinos to ban him from playing since April 3.
In an interview, Briones said the President vowed justice for her husband.
The family admitted Carlos became despondent because of his gambling losses, Albayalde said.
"He used to work for the department of finance of the Philippines government and he was deeply in debt", our correspondent said.
Due to this, Carlos's civil-service eligibility was canceled, his retirement benefits forfeited and was perpetually disqualified from rejoining the government, pursuant to the Revised Rules on Administrative Cases in the Civil Service.
Video footage that surfaced on Saturday suggest the attack stemmed from a botched robbery.
Shortly afterwards, he dons a black ski mask, slips on an ammunition vest and pulls an M4 carbine assault rifle out of his backpack at the Resorts World Manila complex.
Police is now writing off the attack as an act of robbery rather than a terror attack.
At midnight on Friday, a lone gunman barged into the Resorts World casino area and set ablaze gaming tables.
With clear determination, he begins circling the room, dousing gambling tables and then igniting each one with a lighter.
Hotel security staff chased Carlos to the fifth floor of the hotel wing, where he was found dead hours later inside Room 510, after committing suicide by setting himself on fire. The suspect fired his rifle into the air, and a few minutes later, he can be seen in the CCTV footage firing at the doorknob of a room where the casino chips were stored.
- 'Wonder Woman' soars in its second weekend as 'The Mummy' staggers
- Without 'Hamilton' buzz, Tony Awards put on brave face
- Warriors' Green will be on the court for this Finals Game 5
- Southgate calls for more clinical England after late Scotland drama
- UK votes ahead of Brexit negotiations
- Irving saves his best for when Cavs face Finals elimination
- Warren Gatland names Alun Wyn Jones as Lions captain for Crusaders match
- Wounded May soldiers on as election shock complicates Brexit
- England vs South Africa, third ODI
- Summerhays storms into lead as struggling Dufner shoots 77