The shooting occurred at a popular park and baseball complex in Alexandria, Virginia, where lawmakers and others were gathered for a morning practice about 7 a.m.
Bernie Sanders supporter James T. Hodgkinson opened fire on Republicans at their congressional baseball practice Wednesday morning, shooting Rep. Steve Scalise and injuring a staffer and two Capitol police officers.
He says he saw the alleged gunman not long before shots rang out.
"I don't want us to change what we do for a living based on this one lunatic", he said.
According to Verderosa, Griner was shot in the ankle and is in good condition in the hospital.
"All of a sudden we heard a very loud shot. Everyone out there was looking out for him, not just me".
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul said "it would have been a massacre" without Capitol Hill Police. "They're the ones that saved countless innocent lives and they're the heroes of today".
"We get protection if we have specific threats made against us, but I think a lot of us have really had mixed feelings about having security details".
Barton, R-Ennis, the longtime Republican manager, and Rep. He "started doing what you need to do to stop the blood loss", Brooks said. His 10-year-old son was also on the field and dropped to the ground.
The second patient has not been identified.
Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-Sc., and Rep. Ron Desantis, R-Fl., were getting into Duncan's auto when the man asked them about the political affiliation. The agency says it is working to quickly trace a rifle and a handgun to determine where they were purchased. A player is seen frantically running off of the field as two men ask aloud whether anyone has notified authorities of the incident.
The Vice President and I are aware of the shooting incident in Virginia and are monitoring developments closely.
Witnesses described hearing Scalise "screaming for help" after the gunman shot his security detail. Both and sustained injuries but are expected to recover.
"He's loyal to the person he's assigned to protect", Brooks said of the officer.
- Conte doesn't want me at Chelsea: Costa
- Gunman Opens Fire on GOP Congressional Baseball Practice
- Steve Scalise, US Republican, Injured In A Shooting During Baseball Practice
- Fed Raises Rates for Third Time in Six Months
- Sessions Denies Improper Contacts With Russians
- Fed raises rate, plans balance sheet reduction
- England crumble to 211 all out against Pakistan
- Tributes to Manchester and London terror attack victims at France v England
- 'The Fight Is On': Conor McGregor to Meet Floyd Mayweather in Octagon
- Warriors capture their second National Basketball Association title in three years