Lawmakers who were there described a chaotic scene, with many members of the congressional GOP baseball team huddled in a dugout while Capitol police who were part of Scalise's security detail and local Alexandria police engaged in a shoot-out with Hodgkinson.
The suspected shooter was identified by NBC News as 66-year-old James Hodgkinson of IL. A suspect is in custody and has been named by U.S. media as James T Hodgkinson, 66, of IL. After medical personnel arrived, he said he retrieved Scalise's phone and made the first call to Scalise's wife to notify her of the shooting. And I tell you, those two security details, those two Capitol police officers, they showed incredible bravery...pistols against a rifle...from a 90 to 120 feet distance.
Two Capitol Police officers were also wounded and their injuries are not considered life-threatening.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected", he said. Pearce said he thought he was just another spectator.
Another victim of the shooting was Zack Barth, a staff member for Texas Rep. Roger Williams, Williams said in a post on Twitter.
The team was taking batting practice when gunshots rang out and chaos erupted.
A Republican congressman on the party's congressional baseball team fought back tears Wednesday as he reflected on his teammates' camaraderie in the face of horrific violence.
In a statement, Rep. Tom Cole said he "was deeply shocked and saddened" by the shooting.
Mr Brooks said he saw the man only for a second, and that he was shooting from a chain-link fence behind the third-base position on the field, where the congressional group was holding an early morning practice ahead of a game against Democrats this week. Senator Bob Corker said he is grateful for the response by Capitol Police. "I don't even know if they'll play the game tomorrow", Pearce said. "Think of how we are vilifying and engaging the people who disagree with us". It was not known the condition of the others who were shot.
- Kanye West Is a Bad Instagram Husband, According to Kim Kardashian
- Durant Leads Warriors to NBA Championship
- At least six dead in London apartment fire
- Death toll rises to 12 in London apartment building inferno
- Theresa May Just Cracked a Pretty Good Joke About Her Election Disaster
- Messi and Barca congratulate NBA champions Warriors
- Injured congressman in critical condition after surgery
- President Trump decries shooting of top Congressman, calls for unity
- Ultime temps additionnel pour les Bleus — Amical France-Angleterre
- Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes turned a corner with Canadian Grand Prix win