The three members of Wyoming's congressional delegation are safe and were not at the baseball field in Virginia where a gunman opened fire and wounded five people, including a Louisiana congressman. Scalise was shot, he says "he actually saved everybody's life by being there because he had the two security details with him".
In a message directed to Rep. Steve Scalise, the Louisiana Republican wounded in the attack, Trump said: "America is praying for you, and America is praying for all of the victims of this awful shooting".
Brooks estimated that there were 50 to 100 shots fired.
"I heard a bang, and I thought it sounded like a gun. A staff person was shot in the chest, possibly serious", King said. Scalise's office said he was shot in the hip and underwent surgery.
Brooks said he tried to help Scalise, telling CNN, "We used my belt to help put a tourniquet around his leg".
Steve Scalise, the House majority whip, was among several injured by the gunfire at a baseball field in Alexandria, Virginia, on Wednesday morning.
"Those two Capitol Police are awesome individuals", McCarthy said.
The shooting occurred around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday just outside of Washington, DC.
The motive for the shooting remains under investigation. He hit Steve Scalise", Barton said, "Scalise's security detail and the Capitol Hill police immediately returned fire, and Alexandria Police also immediately came and began to return fire. Bernie SandersBernie SandersRoger Stone blames shooting on "climate of hate" toward Trump Facebook pulls pages of suspected baseball gunman FBI: Suspected shooter had been in Alexandria since March MORE's (I-Vt.) 2016 presidential campaign and a frequent critic of President Trump on social media. "We said it was Republicans and he kind of started walking to the field", U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis told Fox Business Network.
U.S. Capitol Police Chief Matthew Verderosa said the two wounded police officers do not have life-threatening injuries.
President Trump responded to the attack, saying that he and Vice President Pence are "deeply saddened by this tragedy". Giffords, who authorities said was the main target of the shooting, survived the attack but six others were killed and an additional 12 were injured.
- US politician shot at baseball practice in critical condition after surgery
- Suspected Virginia shooter identified as man from IL
- Fed raises key rate and unveils plan to reduce bond holdings
- Tributes to Manchester and London terror attack victims at France v England
- US Federal Reserve raises interest rate
- Suspect reported dead after congressman, guards injured in shooting outside DC
- Steve Scalise, US Republican, Injured In A Shooting During Baseball Practice
- USGA pledges no repeat of rules gaffe from last US Open
- London tower fire: 6 dead, Pinoys among injured
- Cell video released of GOP baseball practice shooting