It's no surprise that Durant's mother is front and center, as she has always been. Or did the voters get it right in awarding it to Durant? And Curry, too. Even LeBron James, celebrating the fight and brilliance they each demonstrated during an entertaining back-and-forth basketball show in this Finals trilogy.
Beating Cleveland two out of three in the first rivalry to be featured in three consecutive finals didn't hurt the sense of drama the Warriors aroused all season.
Cleveland's inability to give the Warriors much of a fight has already sparked talk that James, who left the team in 2010 for Miami before returning four years later, could consider another move during 2018 free agency.
But in the featured matchup of the NBA Finals, Kevin Durant had his rival in the only area he cared about: wins. Other than LeBron and Irving, the Cavaliers just aren't good enough to stay with not only the best offensive team in the National Basketball Association but one of the very best defensively, too. The Warriors also posted a 16-1 record (.941 win percentage) in these playoffs to go on the best title run ever, percentage points better than the 2001 Lakers (15-1, .938).
Durant might be asked to do the same - take less than he might command elsewhere to allow Golden State to keep Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston without salary cap issues. Golden State went 11-0 during that stretch before Kerr returned for Game 2 of the NBA Finals.
Monday's loss denied the Cavaliers a chance to repeat as champions and for James to get his fourth championship ring.
The plus-minus metric was not available in Michael Jordan's day when he won six NBA Finals in six trips in the 1990s. "I've been so lucky to be part of so many championship teams as a player and now as a coach, and it never gets old". However, the Cavs would've nearly certainly had a better shot at stretching their lead and putting that much more pressure on the Warriors to avoid enduring two more days of potentially embarrassing 3-1 jokes and having to head back to Cleveland for Game 6.
- Injured congressman in critical condition after surgery
- Trump 'deeply saddened' by shooting at congressional baseball practice
- Fed Raises Rates for Third Time in Six Months
- Champions Trophy 2017: De Villiers Praises Tahir, Tharanga Banned
- Rep. Scalise shot in Virginia
- Trump Calls Health Care Bill He Celebrated in the Rose Garden 'Mean'
- Sessions's Testimony Clears Sessions (But Not Trump)
- Children tossed from windows in London high-rise blaze
- Champions Trophy 2017: India thrash South Africa to reach semi-final
- Congressman Among Those Shot At Virginia Baseball Field