Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-Louisiana, was shot in the hip and underwent surgery, but was otherwise listed in stable condition.
The group of Republican lawmakers were practicing for the upcoming congressional softball game, which is an annual tradition in Washington.
"It's just a really, really bad situation", the congressman said.
"I was looking right at him", Bishop told Detroit radio station WWJ.
"We are all kind of on pins and needles, hoping these guys pull through". Mr. Williams also asked the public to respect the privacy of Mr. Barth and his family. Presidents have also been longtime attendees of the games. Randy Neugebauer, Texas Republican.
Sanford was in Congress in 1998 when a gunman killed two Capitol Police officers, one of whom hailed from Myrtle Beach.
At least two members of the Capitol Police were reported wounded. He was first elected to the House in 2008 after serving in the state legislature.
"I was next up at bat, so I had a batting helmet on", said Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-GA), who said he clearly recognized the sound of a gun shot. A U.S. Capitol Police officers was injured by gunfire and another suffered "secondary injuries" at the scene, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said.
"I actually fist-bumped Scalise on my way off the field", Duncan reflected, shaking his head in disbelief.
Loudermilk isn't the only member to note the additional injuries or fatalities could have occurred had armed members of the Capitol police not been there.
Mr. Ryan said he spoke with both officers Wednesday morning. I was trying to point the guy out to them. "Let me be as clear as I can be".
Despite this, DeSantis says congressmen can't live or work in a bubble.
DeSantis added that the man wasn't carrying anything, but did see him head towards the field.
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul agreed with Rep Walker that a mass killing disaster was narrowly averted. "My thanks to them are inadequate, but heartfelt. They put him in handcuffs".
While we pray for Scalise and his staff's speedy recovery, we can take a moment to admire this display of compassion and courage.
Others said a twist of fate kept them out of harm's way.
- Gunman Opens Fire As Members Of Congress Practice Baseball
- Suspect reported dead after congressman, guards injured in shooting outside DC
- Congressmen at baseball shooting credit 'heroic behavior' Capitol Hill police
- US politician shot at baseball practice in critical condition after surgery
- Tributes to Manchester and London terror attack victims at France v England
- House Majority Whip shot at congressional baseball practice
- ICC Champions Trophy, Group B preview: India to defend title amid powerhouses
- Top Republican wounded in US shooting
- London tower fire: 6 dead, Pinoys among injured
- Waited for results, now it's Brexit time: Merkel