Cedric Soares' 86th-minute shot was deflected in, but Hector Moreno snatched a point in the 91st minute.
Portugal did eventually take the lead on 34 minutes though, when Ronaldo broke through into the Mexico box and played a lovely pass to Ricardo Quaresma, who was completely unmarked on the right, and slotted past Guillermo Ochoa. "It was a fair result for how the teams played".
Cedric's goal looked to have been the breakthrough Portugal needed, but Mexico did not cave in. The first goal was an example of that and showcased a moment of brilliance from Ronaldo.
What a ball by Cristiano to find Quaresma for tap in. 1-0.
"We had nearly 60 percent of the possession". "Mexico was better, more aggressive".
Portugal saw an early goal by Pepe disallowed for offside courtesy video refereeing.
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) - Video reviews are not giving Federation Internationale de Football Association a quick solution at the tournament it is using to fast-track the system for the 2018 World Cup.
Mexico's last competitive loss came nine games and exactly one year ago when Chile hammered them 7-0 in the Centenary Copa America.
The FIFA Confederations Cup serves are a curtain raiser to the FIFA Wold Cup to be hosted by Russian Federation in 2018.The Confederations Cup sees top sides from every continent square off in an eight-team tournament.
The Portugal coach, Fernando Santos, and the striker André Silva have defended Cristiano Ronaldo, with Silva insisting his team-mate and captain is focused on the Confederations Cup, despite tax fraud accusations and fresh transfer speculation this week. The exception to that rule was Quaresma, who regularly looked risky in the fluid Portuguese forward line.
Mexico, opted to bench the likes of Giovani Dos Santos and Hirving Lozano, were looking fluid in their 4-3-3 formation with Javier Hernandez and Carslos Vela leading the line for El Tri.
Cristiano Ronaldo during a training session at the Rubin Training Ground in Kazan.
Hernandez started in an unfamiliar role.
Why the defense of the Portuguese will be vital really comes down to Chicharito.
Juan Carlos Osorio's experiment worked, especially in the first 45 minutes.
- United Kingdom government scrambles to limit fallout from London fire
- Video review causing confusion for FIFA in World Cup trials
- Amazon moves into real-world stores with $13.7 billion Whole Foods deal
- Ton for Fakhar Zaman as Pakistan flay Indian bowlers
- American Brooks Koepka wins US Open
- After The Amazon Deal: What Will Shopping At Whole Foods Feel Like?
- Infantino: Not time to think about future of Confed Cup
- Whataburger trolls Cavaliers after devastating Game 3 loss
- Can Amazon persuade enough people to buy fresh food online?
- Traffic jam at the top at Erin Hills