His agent, Juanma Lopez, made it plain to Real last week that Morata was edging towards an exit, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema ahead of him in Zinedine Zidane's pecking order.
In case you didn't know..
"He doesn't want to go through another season like that".
Alvaro is a player who wants to play a more important role.
For much of last season it seemed a foregone conclusion that Mourinho would take Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid. The Los Merengues want £78 million for Morata but it is understood that United will not pay more than £60 million.
Morata scored 20 goals in 43 appearances last season however he only made 14 starts.
Rumours of a move to Manchester United surfaced recently, with Jose Mourinho looking to add some experience and established quality to a young front line which will in all likelihood be missing Zlatan Ibrahimovic next season. José Mourinho called the Spaniard to convince him to leave Spain and join Manchester United and the call was successful.
The Swede has been released by United and the club's pursuit of Antoine Griezmann has already ended in disappointment with the La Liga giants' transfer ban being upheld, meaning Atletico can not afford to sell Griezmann with no replacement.
A deal for Morata would back up the news that United have already agreed a deal to sign Benfica defender Victor Lindelof, with the Swede set to arrive in a deal worth in excess of £30m. With Madrid expected to strengthen significantly in the transfer window, the competition for starting berths would only have gone up.
- Ruggedman: Ronaldo Return To United Would Be 'Transfer Of The Decade'
- Adam Hadwin set to make cut at US Open
- Qatar hits out at neighbours as Arab rift enters third week
- Koepka pulls away to win US Open
- Trump has 'no intention' of firing special counsel Mueller -White House
- Trump confirms he's under investigation for firing former FBI Director James Comey
- Lions new boys handed Chiefs role
- Little-known Koepka Wins US Open Golf Championship
- Cuba: Trump To Curtail US Travel Spending
- Police Arrest Man Amid Angry Crowds After Finsbury Park Incident