However, that means McGregor vs. Mayweather would need to take in nearly double the $600 million the American's fight with Manny Pacquiao made - dubbed "the richest night in sports history".
Las Vegas' Mayweather, who'll end almost a two-year layoff to box McGregor, is about a 9-1 favorite now that their 12-round, 154-pound boxing match has officially been announced. Brazilian Bethe Correia, whose bantamweight clash with American Holly Holm will be the main event of fight night here on Saturday, says it is going to be a tough fight for the Irishman.
Hours after Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather was announced, "UFC Tonight" tossed the script out the window and devoted much of the program to the upcoming boxing match. But outside of the "puncher's chance" element, few are giving McGregor, the UFC's lightweight champion, who has never boxed a single round as an amateur or professional, anything close to resembling a chance.
But as we saw in this interview, White seemed more than willing to talk up that fight as part of a huge end of the year for combat sports. "Win, lose or draw, I finally and forever become a true McGregor fan because he continues to challenge himself and the norms of society".
Most observers are less impressed and do not expect the fight to be competitive: Mayweather was listed as a -1100 favorite at the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, meaning bettors would have to risk $1,100 on Mayweather to win just $100.
Think Mayweather-McGregor is a freak show? Many think he'll earn roughly the same amount for this McGregor fight.
"All it takes is a guy to nick you with a shot", he said.
Although the fight between Swanson and Malignaggi may not take place right now, there could be a possibility that it happens in the future if the interest from both sides increases again. Mayweather was recently in the United Kingdom for Gervonta Davis' impressive knockout of Liam Walsh, but refused to speak about his potential fight against the Irishman.
- Pakistan win Champions Trophy
- UFC stars excited about McGregor vs Mayweather fight
- Koepka's trip around the world leads to major title at home
- Ramnath Kovind: NDA's Face Of Presidential Elections
- IOS 11 won't support iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and fourth-gen iPad
- In spite of tweet, lawyer says Trump not under investigation
- Moment of silence for London fire victims
- Final pitches made in nationally watched Georgia House race
- Williamson 12th man in Trophy team
- Texas governor signs texting-while-driving ban into law