He returned in 2009, as the club bought Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso.
United are willing to place 230 million dollars on the table alongside their prized asset De Gea in order to tempt the Spanish giants into parting with two of their elite names.
Ronaldo, the four-time Ballon d'Or victor, reportedly wants to leave Spain this summer and United is among the clubs that he could move to, along with Paris Saint Germain.
Paris Saint-Germain are also believed to be weighing up a mammoth offer for Ronaldo but the 32-year-old icon prefers the Red Devils.
Spanish prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against the player accusing him of defrauding tax authorities of 14.7 million euros (16.39 million U.S. Dollars) by hiding his image rights income between 2011 and 2014.
A return to Old Trafford has been heavily mooted in recent days with United thought to be keen on re-signing Ronaldo.
The Portugal global is in Russian Federation at the Confederations Cup and agreed to speak to Zidane again once the tournament is over.
Cristiano Ronaldo could be back at Old Trafford next season, claims the Sunday Times, after the Portuguese striker chose to sever all ties with Spain. I don't see anybody in world football who can substitute for him.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has thrown his support behind unsettled Ballon d'Or holder Cristiano Ronaldo following reports that the player wants to leave the club, sending a warning to Manchester United in the process.
"I know Cristiano, he's a good guy as a professional and as a person".
Since, rumours have been rife linking Ronaldo with a possible return to Man United, however the Portuguese star is also receiving several other tips on what his next move should. So bringing Ronaldo back for a second stint at the club should be a no-brainer. United needs to improve the squad now, and manager Jose Mourinho likes to get deals done early so that he has the full squad for preseason training.
The paper added captain Sergio Ramos also reached out to Ronaldo, who has a club-record scored 406 goals in 394 matches for Real, pleading with him to stay.
- Golfers seem to give good reviews to US Open at Erin Hills
- Here is how Ram Nath Kovind emerged as NDA's presidential choice
- Whole Foods CEO hints at another brand under Amazon
- Britain says will be 'positive and constructive' in Brexit talks
- Mohammad Hafeez: Champions Trophy triumph is for all of Pakistan
- Tapwrit triumphs in Belmont Stakes
- Nadal withdraws from Queen's tournament on doctors' advice
- Trump Helps GOP Get a 'Handle' on Tuesday's Special Elections
- Retailers quaking as Amazon embraces bricks and mortar
- NBA Finals, Game 3: Warriors 118, Cavaliers 113 (final)