Uber board member Arianna Huffington said in March that Mr Kalanick needed to change his leadership style from that of a "scrappy entrepreneur" to be more like a "leader of a major global company". Michael also was one of the few executives who knew that Uber's former head of business in Asia, Eric Alexander, had shared medical records of a rape victim in India.
At the same meeting, the board considered a separate proposal for Kalanick to take a leave of absence following the death of his mother in a boating accident late last month, the Journal and other outlets reported.
The San Francisco-based ride-hailing service has more than 12,000 employees.
Uber confirmed to the BBC that "the board unanimously voted to adopt all the recommendations of the Holder Report".
What exactly the board agreed to - and the fate of its CEO Travis Kalanick - remains a secret until the recommendations are shared with employees on Tuesday. Uber has also spent much of the year responding to other scandals including its secret "Greyball" program for avoiding local regulators, a lawsuit from competitor Waymo and a class action lawsuit that alleges the company shortchanged drivers on ride payments.
An Uber executive is reportedly planning to resign as soon as Monday as investigations into the company's inappropriate workplace culture expand.
In total, 215 claims of harassment were investigated by the legal firm Perkins Coie LLP and, while 100 cases have now been dropped, a further 57 are still under investigation.
Kalanick has since the early days of Uber been the company's figurehead and while not its first, its longest-running CEO.
Uber is also embroiled in a legal battle with Alphabet's self-driving auto subsidiary, Waymo, who alleges that Uber stole important documents on self-driving vehicle technology and faces a criminal probe for "Greyball" technology it used to mislead regulators in cities it operated in.
- India scored some great goals against Pakistan: Roelant Oltmans
- Koepka clinches first major with victory at US Open
- Ramnath Kovind: NDA's Face Of Presidential Elections
- Mayweather vs McGregor happening on August 26
- Pakistan win Champions Trophy
- Koepka's trip around the world leads to major title at home
- Mother of 4 killed by officers was wielding knife
- Retailers quaking as Amazon embraces bricks and mortar
- Doctors: Scalise in critical condition but they are 'encouraged' by his improvement
- Amit Shah to meet 'opposing' ally Uddhav Thackeray