Rumors have circulated for nearly a year about a super fight between the two powerhouses of fighting, however, even UFC President Dana White expressed some doubt as to if the two sides would be able to reach a compromise that would enable them to actually step into the reach. The purse for the fight is not being disclosed, but it is rumored that both fighters will receive a considerable boost to their net worth.
At long last, Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor have finalized a deal for a boxing-only, mega-fight, according to Yahoo's Kevin Iole.
The contest, nearly certain to be the biggest grossing event in boxing history, was confirmed on Wednesday and is set to take place at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on August 26.
Knowing this, there's a piece of me that wants to see McGregor knock Mayweather out.
Mayweather was immediately placed 11-1 favourite in a fight that will take place in a boxing ring and be governed by boxing rules.
Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions, said the boxer's team chose to end his 23-month retirement because the clamor for the 154-pound showdown had been impossible to ignore.
Mayweather's pay-per-view record eclipsed the previous best for his title fight against Oscar de la Hoya in 2007, which pulled in 2.48m.
"If McGregor were to go out and get some boxing matches, I don't see ..." According to the New York Times, Mayweather's 2015 fight with Manny Pacquiao drew almost 4.5 million viewers through pay-per-view.
UFC president Dana White said Wednesday that there will be fines and penalties in place if such actions were to occur.
"It's a very good opportunity to show an MMA fighter is a well-rounded fighter, they can win in MMA fights, and also in boxing", Li said through a translator. He wanted this and obviously the fans wanted it too. This fight, and the boxing vs. MMA promise it holds is tailor made for me. "One shot can change the whole outcome [of a fight so] we damn sure ain't taking Conor McGregor lightly [because] when he touches people, it has a tremendous impact". Mayweather walked into that fight 10 pounds lighter than his opponent.
- Williamson 12th man in Trophy team
- Ossoff criticizes ad on Scalise shooting
- Warriors-Cavaliers generate highest ratings for Finals series since Michael Jordan era
- Lions hope to please their fans against Crusaders
- SNP MSP: Indyref2 plans cost party 'a lot of votes'
- French Open Day 10: Ostapenko, Bacsinszky set up battle of the birthdays
- Zaman, Ali heroics helps Pakistan clinch Champions Trophy title
- Penguins demolish Predators in Game 5 blowout win
- Van Rams into London Mosque Worshippers
- Final pitches made in nationally watched Georgia House race