With that, Murray was up by a set plus a break in the second.
The last time these two met late in the second week of The Championships, Federer could barely be stopped at Wimbledon. Cilic is a Grand Slam champion (w. 2014 US Open) and made his first Grand Slam semi-final in 2010, and will be playing in his fourth on Friday.
"There is a possibility that they will propose surgery, but I don't think that is good", Djokovic said.
During this year's Wimbledon, Murray also called on schedulers to give women more opportunities to play on the main show courts, which have featured a disproportionately high number of men's matches.
Cilic, though, took a 4-1 lead in the tiebreak but lost five straight points as he allowed the American back into the battle.
A semi-final against Tomas Berdych would seem to be strongly in his favour, but history and expectation could be overwhelming, so the Czech must do everything in his power to make things hard.
When he responded with two majestic forehands, one apparently defying physics as it curled around the net post, they were in raptures in the stands and former great Rod Laver smiled in admiration from the Royal Box.
Ivanisevic coached Cilic back then, with the 28-year-old giving him credit for bringing a relaxed vibe to his team - and successfully tinkering with his serve.
"Unfortunately it came at a time where there was a huge event for him and I just hope he can get the necessary treatment, diagnosis, or whatever, rest and come back stronger than he was before". Querrey, his delight evident, reached his first ever Wimbledon semi-finals and will be looking to spring another upset.
Federer despatched last year's runner-up Milos Raonic 6-4 6-2 7-6 (7-4) in the quarter-finals and is now clear favourite to eclipse the legendary Pete Sampras by lifting the trophy on Sunday. In all the matches Marin Cilic won against Sam Querrey. Hopefully I'll come through the other side of it a better player, a better athlete.
"For one thing, those left in contention can not rely on age to wither him".
His play against the No. 1 player in the world and top seed in the draw, Andy Murray, was nothing short of incredible.
- Lewis Hamilton prefers Greek holiday to event at home
- NBA Summer League: Matt Thomas nets 10 for victorious Lakers
- Alfred Angelo Bridal Chains Closing All Stores
- Football seasons inches closer as the ACC Kickoff commences in Charlotte
- You're in such good shape, Trump tells first lady of France
- Tour de France - stage 12: Bardet victor , Aru yellow
- White House: Dems Are The Real Colluders
- Several reportedly shot in Jerusalem's holiest site
- Sir Carter and Rumi pictured for first time — Beyonce
- Video shows Trump meeting with Agalarov family — CNN