Emmy nominations were announced Thursday and once again there were a few unexpected and missing faces.
Drama series: "Better Call Saul"; "The Crown"; "The Handmaid's Tale"; "House Of Cards"; "Stranger Things"; "This Is Us"; "Westworld". "The Daily Show" and "Seth Meyers" on NBC didn't get nominated. Perhaps a bigger story is the performance of Netflix, which was runner up to HBO with 91 nominations, way, way up from the 54 it got a year ago. So season six was eligible for last year's Emmys, while season seven will be eligible for next year's awards.
The award will be presented on September 17 in a grand ceremony. Hulu also took five nominations (including Nonfiction Picture Editing, Nonfiction Sound Editing and Nonfiction Sound Mixing) for The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years.
"We are very proud of these recognitions for the incredibly talented people who make FX Networks shows", said John Landgraf, CEO, FX Networks and FX Productions. "But the show didn't feel like it needed to be on cable". TV academy members validated last summer's watercooler hits "Westworld" and "Stranger Things" with 22 and 18 nominations, respectively.
HBO's "Veep", the most-nominated comedy with 17 bids, is bucking for its third consecutive top comedy trophy.
Judith Light and Kathryn Hahn also of Transparent were nominated for the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. And Alec Baldwin won dual nominations, for hosting ABC's The Match Game revival and as best supporting comedy actor for playing Donald Trump on SNL.
Purser - whose costar David Harbour, who plays Chief Jim Hopper on the show, was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama - has since gone on to star as Ethel Muggs on CW's Riverdale. Among the nominations are the obvious ones, such as Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for Anthony Hopkins (really not a surprise), and of course, Best Drama.
It's Westworld, we're just living in it! And I think basically they're starring in these shows that would have been films, you know, 10 or 15 years ago.
Sigh. It was always a longshot, but many of us were hope-dicting that the final season, which aired a the ideal time right before voting, could break in.
- Trump allies pushing RNC to cover legal fees of Russia investigations
- White House: Dems Are The Real Colluders
- Dollar Slides as Investors Watch Yellen Testimony
- A British court is considering 'new evidence' in the Baby Charlie case
- Sir Carter and Rumi pictured for first time — Beyonce
- NBA Summer League: Matt Thomas nets 10 for victorious Lakers
- Revised Senate healthcare bill includes version of Ted Cruz's controversial amendment
- Jaguar E-Pace launched with record-breaking barrel roll
- Brexit position paper on pending ECJ cases published
- Trump: Putin could have been better off if Clinton won US election