A Russian-American lobbyist who is a former Soviet counterintelligence officer reportedly attended a meeting with Donald Trump Jr. and a Russian lawyer in June of 2016 at Trump Tower, NBC News reported on Friday.
On June 9, 2016, Trump Jr., met with Veselnitskaya. Akhmetshin served in the Soviet military and emigrated to the USA, where he holds dual citizenship, NBC reported.
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller - as a special counsel in the Justice Department's Russian Federation probe - is investigating allegations of collusion between Trump's campaign and Russian Federation in an effort to defeat Clinton in last fall's presidential election.
Accompanying Veselnitskaya at the meeting were Akhmetshin, an interpreter, and according to the Washington Post, Goldstone.
Trump Jr. has dismissed the meeting as "a nothing" that led "nowhere".
"I think I have a legal right to tell my story", he said.
If the files Akhmetshin said were left in Trump Jr.'s office and those released by Guccifer 2.0 are the same, it would apparently show an information pipeline flowing from Russian intelligence to the Trump campaign.
Trump Jr.'s attorney, Alan Futerfas, told Fox News he could not confirm Samochornov was at the meeting, but said one of the two other attendees was a USA citizen.
President Donald Trump told reporters he changed the subject with Russian President Vladimir Putin after pressing him repeatedly about the country's role in meddling in the 2016 U.S. election.
Although Trump Jr. Confirmed that Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya attended the meeting, he did not disclose the presence of Akkmmetin.
"All they want to do is stop Donald Trump, even if it means my wife and I get threatened on a regular basis". Later he said that "If Russia or China or any other country has those emails, to be honest with you, I'd love to see them".
The meeting in Trump Tower last summer may have been set up to deliver negative information about rival presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. I mean, it was summer and everyone was on vacation. What other meetings with Russians, whether formal or incidental encounters, do you recall during the course of the campaign?
Trump Jr. then asked Veselnitskaya if everything was in those documents to prove what she was saying, including the clear flow of funds to the DNC, and Veselnitskaya said that they would need to research it further.
- Chelsea to announce third summer signing, five-year contract offered — Done Deal
- Arsene Wenger hails Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock impact
- US Democrats introduce new bill on Russia and Iran sanctions
- Trump and Macron's Parting Handshake Looked Like a Literal Nightmare
- Was 'You're in such good shape' comment in bad taste?
- Cheap Tricks to Watch 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Premiere for Free
- Centre briefs all-party MPs on standoff with China
- Wimbledon - Saturday Schedule: Venus Williams faces Garbine Muguruza
- Serena Williams: 'I feel like I'm there' with Venus at Wimbledon
- Russian-American lobbyist says he also met with Trump Jr. past year