The three-time drivers champion produced a thrilling fastest lap of 1 minute 26.600 seconds in Saturday's qualifying, 0.547 seconds ahead of Kimi Raikkonen.
"They could have been better on the out-lap but I was in traffic, we were in a bunch of three/four cars".
"You will have seen over the previous years how much I appreciate and respect that and try to give and enjoy the weekend with the fans and that doesn't change", said the 32-year-old who celebrated his win last year by jumping into the sea of fans gathered below the podium.
When asked about the incident, Hamilton said he had not been told he had a vehicle behind him, but added that he didn't think Grosjean was "that close" to him. He started only eighth before he recovered to finish fourth.
On Thursday, when he faced reporters at Silverstone, Hamilton said he hadn't heard about the booing. "I need to do it for these guys".
Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas will be starting the British Grand Prix with a five-grid-spot penalty on Sunday.
"I feel like I've said all I want to say". "I think our auto has been really strong this year in fast corners so I think it should be quite nice".
"The vision is not very good and it's because of the curvature that creates a bit of distortion", Vettel said.
Verstappen was involved in an amusing moment of team radio when his engineer warned him about yellow caution flags at Turn Seven, only for Verstappen, who had just run wide at the corner, to reply: "Yes, because of me".
While Mercedes announced the gearbox penalty for Bottas on Friday, Saturday morning saw another driver hit with the same penalty as Red Bull needed to change the gearbox in Daniel Ricciardo's vehicle.
As the circuit dried, the times tumbled with wild movements of positions.
Fernando Alonso topped the order in Q1 - the opening phase of qualifying - after bolting on a set of dry tyres and blitzing the 3.6-mile circuit as the track began to dry out after earlier rain.
It was thrilling for the crowd, and appreciated, but after his penalties he will start from the back of the grid.
- Serena Williams: 'I feel like I'm there' with Venus at Wimbledon
- Chelsea to announce third summer signing, five-year contract offered — Done Deal
- Wimbledon 2017: Venus batters Konta, faces Mugunruzu final
- SD senator careful to commit early support to GOP health care overhaul
- 2 charged in killing of Loyola student, 3 other men
- 2nd man in custody in connection to killings of 4 Pa. men
- Cheap Tricks to Watch 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Premiere for Free
- Michelle Wie withdraws from Women's US Open
- Fabio Aru Takes the Tour's Yellow Jersey
- Dollar dips after weak consumer prices data