"I've played a lot of finals here", Williams told reporters after the victory.
'Quite honestly, I think I was in with a shot of winning this tournament.
"But Garbine played fantastic".
But this was a step too far.
It was perhaps all the more disappointing that Konta should lose just as many had started to believe she could win, not only against Williams but the whole tournament. "I wanted to play better, and I could not", she said.
The former world number one would carry that momentum through the rest of the match, finding big second serves and aiming at the body to restrict Konta to just 13 points on the return as her forehand in particular leaked errors. None of her wins were more impressive than her three-set, fourth-round victory against the speedy Angelique Kerber, the #1 seed. I'm very disappointed, but still I had an awesome run here. The few opportunities that I did get, she did incredibly well to take them away from me. I couldn't ask for more, but I'll ask for a little more! She just knows how to prepare, how to train, what to do. "In the past years, you see the Williams surname a lot", Muguruza said.
The final point was a rare rally but it ended with Rybarikova finding the net after being forced into the corner by Muguruza's relentless returns. "I don't know, to put a Spanish name back there". Muguruza lost to Serena Williams in the Wimbledon final in 2015.
Muguruza defeated Rybarikova with a convincing score of 6-1, 6-1 and will face Venus in the finals. "I could be 6-1, 5-0, doesn't matter".
"That's what I try to do".
Muguruza has fought for the top prize at Wimbledon before. "She was playing very fast and every stroke was so long", she said.
"I miss her so much", Venus said.
- Emmys 2017 Nomination Snubs - Who Was Left Off List
- GOP ready to try pushing new health bill through Senate
- NBA Summer League: Matt Thomas nets 10 for victorious Lakers
- Russian-American lobbyist says he was in Donald Trump Jr meeting
- Committee Chair Requests Donald Trump Jr. Testify On Capitol Hill
- China says upholds United Nations sanctions as North Korea trade rises
- Tour de France - stage 12: Bardet victor , Aru yellow
- Report: Star midfielder wants to play for Man United not Chelsea
- Alfred Angelo Bridal Chains Closing All Stores
- US Democrats introduce new bill on Russia and Iran sanctions