Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated NDA presidential candidate Ram Nath Kovind "in advance", on the eve of the July 17 presidential election, and urged ruling alliance MPs to cast their vote.
President Election in India: Ramnath Kovind and Meria Kumar are the two standing in the President Election today from 10 AM to 5 PM. Since morning the MPs and MLAs are seen standing up in the long queues outside the Parliament to cast their vote for the President Election 2017 of India.
The possibility of cross-voting by parties is not ruled out as under the constitution, parties can not issue any whip to its lawmakers to vote for a particular candidate.
Voting in the Presidential polls will take place from 1000 hrs to 1700 hrs and counting of votes will take place from 1100 on July 20. The term of present incumbent Pranab Mukherjee comes to an end on the 24th of this month. The leaders had to choose from the two contenders NDA candidate Ram Nath Kovind and opposition candidate Meira Kumar. While Ram Nath Kovind has been able to get the support of non-NDA parties like JD (U) and TRS, Meira Kumar could not convince some of the congress ally like JD (U).
On expected lines, Shivpal, the warring uncle of Akhilesh, said that whatever his elder brother Mulayam decides was the last word for him, indicating that he too would back Kovind. Congress members have voted for Meira Kumar, said Mishra. Before the meeting, Patnaik, Kovind and Union health minister and senior BJP leader J P Nadda raised hands in unison, he said. In Uttar Pradesh, Shivpal Yadav faction of the Samajwadi party voted for Kovind. Everyone has just one question that who will be the next India's President?
The nominees of both, the NDA and the Opposition, are from the Dalit community. "Three AIUDF MPs Badaruddin Ajmal, Sirajuddin Ajmal and Radheshyam Biswas also voted in the assembly", the Principal Secretary of the Assam assembly said.
Kovind's ascent to the top post in the country will be first by a leader who started out with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), the ideological mentor of the BJP.
- Deal to Rockets still likely — Carmelo Anthony rumor
- Nokia 8 Rumored to Launch on July 31 Carrying a
- Game of Thrones saison 7 : Episode 1, convaincus ou déçus ? Notre verdict !
- The Trump-Russia investigation: A Timeline
- Jordan Henderson: Liverpool's aim is to win things this season
- Lewis Hamilton emergies as record-tying 5th British Grand Prix victor
- 2 men in London carry out 5 acid attacks in 90 minutes
- Local brides left without dresses after nationwide bridal chain closes
- Health Care Setback: Senate Vote Delayed After McCain's Surgery
- Tour de France 2017: stage 15