Developer Steve Troughton-Smith tweeted out that Apple may have accidentally released the firmware update on Sunday. Apple released an early version of the firmware for its upcoming HomePod device last week. According to Engadget, the code confirms "the use of infrared face unlock in BiometricKit for the next iPhone". It's been expected that Apple would launch this iPhone in September, mimicking the new slim-bezel aesthetic we've already seen from the Samsung Galaxy S8 and LG G6.
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) has leaked some key features of the long-awaited iPhone 8 - including face-unlocking technology and a new shape of the screen. The image shows a silhouette of a device that has a screen almost entirely covering its face and a small notch at the top for the smartphone's earpiece.
The face recognition hints were discovered in BiometricKit, the framework that enables Touch ID, and this could be a sign that Apple does not plan to replace fingerprint scanning completely, but offer Face ID as an alternative.
Apple will surely confirm some of these HomePod details as we get closer to December, especially since some of them are related to the iPhone 8.
Infrared, which works well in low-light situations, would solve current problems with many facial recognitions, the need for a user's face to be well-lit.
Apple has seemingly leaked details of the iPhone 8, showing facial recognition and a full-frontal screen with no home button. The image, which was hidden in the firmware, showcases a bezel-less display with a notch cut out at the top to incorporate the front-facing camera and other sensors.
Renders envisioning how the iPhone 8 (centre) may look compared to the 7s and 7s Plus, based on leaks and rumours.
- Trump Threatens to End Insurance Payments if No Healthcare Bill
- Daenerys turns ruthless in 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Episode 4
- Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to be elected as interim PM of Pakistan
- This Game of Thrones Season 8 tease that will give fans hope
- The best and worst beauty looks from last night's "Game of Thrones"
- Venezuela: Ban on protests lays groundwork for mass human rights violations
- Sebastian Vettel seize pole position ahead of teammate Kimi Raikkonen
- Ex-Navy doc vows free surgery for transgender military patients
- Mixed news for Sri Lanka on injury front
- Dodgers ride young stars Seager, Bellinger to another win over Giants