Shahbaz Sharif has controlled Punjab for much of the last decade and has seen massive development on Pakistan's most populous province, which is a stronghold of the Sharif led PML-N.
"If he is taken out, it seems the party will crumble as had happened in 1993 and 1999", said Anam Iqra, another analyst.
A day earlier, the relevant authorities started putting down the pictures of the former prime ministers at Jinnah International Airport, Allama Iqbal International Airport and Benazir International Airport.
Shehbaz will have to win a seat in the National Assembly within the next 45 days to be elected as the prime minister of Pakistan following Nawaz's ouster.
In case, Shehbaz is elected is premier, then his son Hamza could be a choice for the post of chief minister of Punjab.
"Sharif will bring forward some person from the party".
But he has vowed his party would continue to focus on economic development, touting a faster-growing economy as proof of his success. Sharif's party will have to nominate Shahbaz Sharif's successor as Punjab's chief minister.
Former President Pervez Musharraf on Friday welcomed and supported the Supreme Court's verdict to disqualify Nawaz Sharif.
"They have given Pakistan hope".
"This is a party (PML-N) that has the luxury of not facing a formidable opponent with national clout", said Kugelman. The decision was taken during an informal party meeting headed by former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
The Panama Papers leak sparked mass protests in Pakistan and calls from opposition political groups for a panel to investigate Sharif and his children over their alleged offshore accounts.
The five-judge bench ruled that the Prime Minister had been dishonest to Parliament and the courts and could not be deemed fit to hold office.
In his first televised comments Saturday since the decision, Sharif said he was removed by the Supreme Court on Friday over "baseless allegations".
The involvement of two members from military intelligence agencies as part of a six-man Supreme Court-appointed investigative panel probing Sharif had further stoked fears within PML-N that the powerful generals had a hand in the judicial proceedings.
Sharif's supporters have held similar small rallies in the eastern city of Lahore from where he won the 2013 parliamentary elections. Now, after almost two decades, the ousted prime minister has chosen him to step into his shoes, though for a short stint of 45 days.
- El Clasico ICC 2017: Real Madrid 2-3 Barcelona - 5 Talking Points
- Judiciary member warns president on special counsel, attorney general
- Donald Trump threatens to end insurance payments if healthcare bill fails
- Senate Republicans Continue Effort To Pass Health Care Law
- Health care debate: Turmoil in Senate as Republicans revolt against 'skinny bill'
- Priebus out as chief of staff, Trump names Kelly as replacement
- Watch the moment that McCain voted no on Obamacare repeal
- Sling gets its first PPV event with UFC 214
- La composition probable du Parisien — Monaco / PSG
- Trump fumes over health care reform after 'skinny repeal' defeat