The Chicago Cubs acquired Detroit Tigers closer Justin Wilson and catcher Alex Avila in exchange for minor league infielders Jeimer Candelario and Isaac Paredes ahead of Monday's trade deadline. Left-hander Jose Quintana arrived in a trade with the crosstown White Sox on July 13, helping fuel the ascent to the top, but the Cubs have been getting better play all around after a lackluster start to the season.
So forget about "winning July".
If the Nats are feeling pressure to win now, don't be shocked to see them go all in if they agree with Britton's valuation.
However, the southpaw was only going to get more expensive with another year of arbitration remaining, as well as a potentially significant free agent deal if he remains effective through the 2018 campaign.
We break down the moves of all three contenders here.
Wilson and Avila were in the midst of strong seasons for Detroit.
Wilson served as the Tigers' closer in 2017 and was quite effective, saving 13 games in 15 attempts with 55 strikeouts and an ERA of 2.68. Contreras is a right-handed hitter, and Avila is a left-handed hitter.
The Cubs have Brian Duensing and Mike Montgomery as left handed options.
In 39 games this season, Jeffress is 1-2 with a 5.31 ERA, and allowed a home run in each of his past four appearances. He has posted a.394 on-base percentage and a.475 slugging percentage, good for a.869 OPS. He was promoted once the Cubs designated Miguel Montero for assignment in the latter stages of June. Young catcher Victor Caratini has been Contreras' backup. "(Martinez), you have the same emotional feelings", Al Avila said in NY before the Tigers played the Yankees. The 18-year old shorstop was hitting.264 with seven home runs and 49 RBI at Class-A South Bend. They traded Gleyber Torres to the Yankees to get closer Aroldis Chapman a year ago. While the Cubs really liked Candelario, there was no immediate or medium-term spot for him on the big league roster. "But I think prospect rankings are valuable in some ways". "We've evaluated our system and we felt there was a void of position players". "He's come a long way in a short time".
- Game Of Thrones Season 7: 12 Big Questions After 'The Queen's Justice'
- Putin's order to expel 755 Russian diplomats will affect mostly Russians
- Scaramucci Whacking Shows There's A New Sheriff in Town
- Astronomers approved more safe solar glasses vendors for eclipse watchers
- Senators must deliver on healthcare bill
- Donald Trump 'weighed in' on son's Russian Federation attorney statement, says White House
- All you need to know about Abu Dujana
- Trump reportedly considering AG Jeff Sessions to lead Homeland Security Department
- Ex-striker sends 'perfect' advice to Philippe Coutinho about Liverpool transfer
- National Night Out Events Held Tonight