Veteran Rangana Herath, who suffered a finger injury and failed to bat in the final innings of the first Test, has been retained in the squad.
Rahul was ruled out of the first test in Galle, where India won by 304 runs, with a viral fever but the 25-year-old has recovered sufficiently and has been batting in the nets.
At the break, Cheteshwar Pujara (89) and Ajinkya Rahane (41) were at the crease. The Pujara-Rahul pair that has a chequered past record as far as running between the stumps is concerned, provided the sort of luck that Sri Lanka needed to overturn their dwindling fortunes.
3 - This is the third time in a calendar year that Pujara has hit two sixes: previously, he had hit two sixes each in 2015 and 2016. Dilruwan Perera played 140 games before getting the top honour.
Talking of the overall stats, the fastest to reach 4000 test runs is all time great, Don Bradman.
6 - Number of 50+ scores in consecutive innings for KL Rahul. It was the sixth successive fifty for Rahul in Test cricket, and he joined the likes of illustrious compatriots Gundappa Viswanath and Rahul Dravid in achieving this feat.
In heart-warming gesture, Indian skipper Virat Kohli rewarded sports journalist R Kaushik with the Indian jersey for his outstanding excellence in the field of sports journalism.
Sri Lanka didn't have to wait for their first wicket for very long as it came in the next over itself.
50 - This is Pujara's 50th Test for India. Moreover, maintaining the form has become a real challenge in the Indian cricket, as a multitude of young talents stays in line to play for the country. He will partner Shikhar Dhawan, whose game-changing 190, made during the first two sessions of the series in Galle, ensured he kept his place in the XI.
The Indian spin duo of Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin got on to the act again, taking six wickets between them in the second innings to wipe off any resemblance of a challenge from the hosts.
- Brinkmanship no way to treat IL school students, Demmer says
- Donald Trump threatened insurance companies' 'bailouts.' Here's what that means
- Late Week Front Brings Higher Rain Chances
- North Korean Submarine Activity "Highly Unusual"
- Trump aims at insurers in battle over healthcare subsidies
- US urges Americans to leave North Korea before ban kicks in
- Analyst Upside Underscores Impressive Growth for Magellan Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE:MMP)
- 2 dead after gas explosion collapses school in Minneapolis
- Russian Federation says United States sanctions amount to full-scale 'trade war'
- Résultats et perspectives supérieurs aux attentes — APPLE