Xherdan Shaqiri's long-range effort did force new Toffees goalkeeper Jordan Pickford into a fine save in stoppage-time, with the 23-year-old leaping across his line to tip wide. You need one or two struggling in this season and maybe you can make the next step.
The visitors created the better of the first-half openings before Rooney's goal swung the momentum firmly into Everton's favour.
However, Keane's showing against Stoke has clearly instilled added belief in the Everton ranks, with a clean sheet another bonus from the win.
Idrissa Gana Gueye almost saw a drive directed in by Rooney as Butland was belatedly tested, before the livewire midfielder missed with another attempt from similar range.
Ronald Koeman lays down the ambitions for Everton this season
"Everybody is looking forward to the start of the Premier League and is ready". The summer signing then picked out Dominic Calvert-Lewin on the wing, who crossed into the box.
And he found the back of the net with a well-placed header to score his first goal for the Toffees in 13 years today.
You could tell how much the goal meant to the 31-year-old. His influence grew thereafter.
It is believed, Newcastle United are leading the chase to entice the Scottish-born player away from Merseyside, though local reports suggest Everton will only consider a sale if their £25m valuation is met.
Mark Hughes declared himself pleased with his side's performance, if not the result, after witnessing what he considered the nearly inevitable debut goal for Wayne Rooney.
- Dow Jones witnesses worst drop since May amid geopolitical tensions
- London braced for Usain Bolt's farewell
- Chinese paper says China should stay neutral if North Korea attacks first
- Gold hovers near two-month highs on N.Korea tensions
- Liverpool say Coutinho staying amid interest from Barcelona
- White supremacists in violent clashes at Charlottesville rally
- Rams acquire WR Sammy Watkins from Bills in blockbuster trade
- Tokyo stocks open higher as US-North Korea tensions worries ease
- Stocks, Dollar, Extend Slide as USA , N. Korea Tensions Intensify
- Mourinho says Manchester United still in the market for a winger