In its first foray into selling pure debt, Tesla offered an eight-year non-call three-year bond that was originally marketed at a size of US$1.5bn. Even if Musk is not as successful as Wall Street estimates, he should sell more than enough cars to make the leverage, and the additional interest bill, easy for bondholders to swallow. Musk offhandedly dismissed concerns about Tesla Model 3 cancellations - orders now stand at about 455,000 compared to Musk's proclamations to the press of about 513,000 preorders - as inconsequential and that original numbers were "just a guess". "So - but what people should absolutely have zero concern about, zero, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000-unit production week by the end of next year", Musk said.
So far, Tesla has been raising money to pay its bills with a combination of equity offerings and convertible bonds, which eventually convert into shares. Investors seemed to like the company's better-than-expected financial results as well as management's reassurance that Tesla is on schedule with its Model 3 production ramp.
The 31-year-old actress and Musk recently broke up, and they have now spoken out together to comment on their situation, admitting having a long-distance romance has been "tough" for them both. The company spent $1.2 billion in the second quarter preparing for the Model 3's arrival.
At the launch, Musk, however, warned that Tesla would face months of "manufacturing hell" as it increases production of the saloon. Moreover, Tesla is also working on releasing fully autonomous electric cars and buses.
The tactics worked, as noteholders are proving willing to overlook the company's negative cash flow and its repeated trips to capital markets to bolster its balance sheet.
- FTSE sell-off gathers strength on North Korea fears
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Invest (PEI) Ownership Increased by Ameriprise Financial Inc
- Coutinho "has lost the trust of Klopp" after submitting transfer request
- Dana White releases unseen videos of Conor McGregor v Paulie Malignaggi sparring
- Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City
- Pep Guardiola Looking To Add To His Manchester City Squad
- Buffalo Bills taking step back after trading Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby
- City to rein in spending spree: Guardiola
- Nawaz Sharif Terms His Disqualification From Premiership As "Joke"
- Neymar cleared to make PSG debut