During Trump's phone conversation Friday with Xi, the Chinese leader also requested that the US and North Korea tone down their recent rhetoric and avoid actions that could worsen tensions between the two nations, Chinese Central Television reported.
"While diplomacy is our preferred means of changing North Korea's course of action, it is backed by military options", they said. It's actually hard to tell from the audio (listen below) if Mattis' was asking a question or making a statement when he said "I'm assuming they've hit the United States".
"We are on full alert and well-prepared to respond to any contingency situation", Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a press conference.
Kim Dong-yub, a professor and a military expert at Kyungnam University's Institute of Far Eastern Studies in Seoul urged caution in assuming North Korea was bluffing with its missile threats.
But the two USA secretaries also described the regime in Pyongyang as "hostile".
Zoom in on these pictures from state media and they show a trajectory starting on North Korea's east coast, home to its submarine base, and moving over Japan, before landing roughly 20 miles from the Guam shoreline.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Secretary Mattis said if North Korea fires missiles or attacks the USA mainland in any way, then "it's game on". We're going to try our best to make sure it does not hit the United States.
But he also made clear that while the military was poised to protect Guam from the North Korean military threat, a declaration of war was a decision that remains with President Donald Trump and Congress.
"I don't think military action is imminent, but we're on a collision course with North Korea", Graham said on "Fox News Sunday".
"The urgent task is to slam the brakes on the mutually provocative words and actions between North Korea and the United States", the Chinese statement said.
The DPRK stands for North Korea's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. "We are hopeful that the leader of that country will understand them in precisely the way they are intended, to permit him a place to get where we can get the nuclear weapons off the peninsula".
- Trump Retweets, Then Deletes, Image of Train Crashing Into 'CNN'
- Retail inflation firms up to 2.36% in July
- AMC looking to block MoviePass service after price slashing
- Mehbooba Mufti welcomes Modi's remarks on Kashmir
- North Korea to watch U.S. actions before deciding on Guam missile launch
- Four Men Arrested In India Over 'Game Of Thrones' Leak
- Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc. (DKS), CareDx, Inc (CDNA)
- Man United 'played with confidence' against West Ham - Jose Mourinho reacts
- NoKor's missile attack to U.S. 'could escalate into war very quickly'
- United Kingdom govt proposes post-Brexit 'temporary customs union' with the EU