Gov. Nathan Deal is asking people to stay indoors as Tropical Storm Irma claims lives and damages trees and buildings.
Jizreel Plancher calls out from the back of a truck to see if people need help the morning after Hurricane Irma swept through the area on September 11, 2017 in Naples, Florida. Remember, in southwest Florida, the storm surge comes after the strongest winds.
But the hurricane - larger than the state itself - also brought destruction to the heavily-populated east coast of Florida.
The storm even produced some tornadoes.
That's more than twice as wide as the state.
In Atlanta, people nervously watched towering oak trees as the city, 400km inland, experienced its first tropical storm warning.
Many drivers are still having issues finding gas after Irma.
The National Hurricane Center has verified Klotzbach's tally of Irma's place in history, adding that some of the figures could change when the formal Tropical Cyclone Report is released later this year.
From the Naples airport Irma continued north.
The National Guard was assisting in the recovery, county administrators said. and the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln is headed to Key West, along with three other navy vessels, where they will anchor and provide emergency services. Irma arrived in the Keys on Sunday with sustained winds of up to 215 km/h. "It looks like a little better than we expected on Saturday, but we still don't very much know", the mayor said. "It's nearly impossible to determine if they are there". At the time, it was reported that it was a Category 3 storm. Irma also spent the ninth-most days at hurricane strength since satellite observation of storms began in 1966, Philip Klotzbach, a meteorologist with Colorado State University, wrote in a tweet.
One woman in Miami's Little Haiti neighbourhood delivered her own baby, with medical personnel coaching her on the phone because emergency responders were not able to reach her, the city of Miami said on Twitter.
"It's going to go well and we will be ready for tourists this winter", he concluded.
- Manchester United struggle at first real test in the Premier League
- Irma's final phase: Flooding in the Southeast is biggest concern
- Millions without power in Florida as deadly Irma plows north
- United States begging for war, not North Korea
- Tutu implores 'beloved sister' Daw Suu to end violence in Rakhine
- UN should take 'necessary measures' on North Korea - China
- All Georgia counties under state of emergency alert
- Vikings open 2017 tonight hosting New Orleans
- Putin Says He Believes US Willing To Defuse Korea Tensions
- Kobach voter fraud commission still can't find Bigfoot