"Episode IX" was the second "Star Wars" project to lose a director this year.
In June, co-directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller ("The Lego Movie", "21 Jump Street") dropped out of the still untitled young Han Solo movie in the middle of filming, citing "different creative visions".
Take a closer look at Rogue One: A Star Wars story.
There's no knowing what exactly happened to Thorne, but it's quite obvious that the studio wanted a fresh start for the final chapter of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The movie absolutely killed at the box office, bringing in an overall total of $2.068 billion.
Episode VIII - The Last Jedi, written and directed by Rian Johnson, debuts December 15. Once Episode IX comes out, we'll really be able to see whether Lucasfilm is all about sticking to the formula and be able to really attribute the success of The Force Awakens where it belongs.
[Director Rian] Johnson shared that information himself during the Japanese press tour for The Last Jedi, saying that Gordon-Levitt's role is "a very brief little thing", but it will be "fun".
- Irma seen weakening to tropical depression by Tuesday afternoon: NHC
- Irma leaves two-thirds of Florida without power
- Nintendo NES Classic coming back next summer
- Paris Saint-Germain Champions League - 13 September 2017
- Kim Jong Un fetes North Korean nuclear scientists, holds celebration bash
- Hurricane Irma hits Florida with wind, flooding
- Manchester United struggle at first real test in the Premier League
- Millions without power in Florida as deadly Irma plows north
- Muted backlash to Trump's bipartisanship signals warning for GOP
- All Georgia counties under state of emergency alert