Players have been increasingly "taking the knee" in protest following remarks made by the US President last week when he criticised the trend.
Black Sports Online credited Jones with figuring out how to have his cake and eat it, too, with regard to Trump's statements, the subsequent protests and the backlash that's followed players' decisions to fight back.
The team then walked to the sideline as the American flag was unfurled on the field and they stood, arm-in-arm, during the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner.
The last two tweets were sent 12 minutes apart - which begs the question: did Trump know that the Cowboys knelt before the anthem? "Big progress" also feels like maybe something that is not happening at the moment, although the unity showed by teams and players has been a positive thing.
While "Sunday Night Football" ratings saw a dip in viewership, "Monday Night Football" preliminary ratings rose 63 percent from a year ago.
During a political rally Friday night in Alabama, Trump said players who kneel during the national anthem should be fired and used a profane term to describe them. But during the anthem itself, every member of the team and personnel stood. "Trump can't divide this", said Bryant. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in August he wasn't a fan of the anthem protests spreading. That's super disrespectful. We showed great unity tonight, that's what that was for.
Trump then carried his feud with the National Football League over players who kneel in protest into the new week with a fresh volley of tweets.
"We had a team meeting and we laid everything on the line (about) how we felt", cornerback Patrick Peterson said.
"Being retired Air Force, this country means everything and our flag is a symbol of our country, our freedom, and why this country is so important", she said.
"I just don't think it's in anyone's best interest for me to comment", he said.
- GOP's Latest ACA Health Insurance Repeal Plan Appears Dead
- Oil Prices Set to Return to Bull-Market Territory
- Roy Moore beats Luther Strange in Alabama GOP Senate primary runoff
- National view: The devolution of repeal and replace
- Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months in teen sexting case
- Dortmund determined to spoil Ronaldo's 150th European appearance
- Activist Group Accuses Myanmar Military of 'Crimes Against Humanity'
- Things to Do Before Installing macOS High Sierra
- After Shocking Election Victory, Far-Right German Party Reassures Jews
- Vikings best Tampa Bay 34-17