"The railways has to be also directed to take action against illegal hawkers and encroachers on foot overbridges (FoB) to reduce crowding", the PIL said.
Another witness told the Hindu that during the incident, many people stole purses and other ornaments.
Avinash Supe, dean of KEM Hospital, told AFP news agency there were 22 dead. Once the rain stopped the crowd started moving and someone "must have slipped" leading to the initial blockage.
The victim was identified as a woman named Sumalata Shetty, one of the 23 people who lost their lives in the deadly crush at the Elphinstone Road station. This also means that the safety audit shouldn't just look at structural stability of the bridges but also assess if it was enough for the number of passengers that it catered to.
Local trains are the lifeline for the 20 million people of Mumbai. Mr Goyal said any concessions required to accommodate space constraints at railway platforms would be sorted out immediately. "Senior railway officers have reached Elphinstone Road station FOB to monitor relief work", Mukul Jain, Division Railway Manager, Western Railway, said.
"To eliminate bureaucracy and delays, I have empowered GMs to spend whatever is necessary on safety", he added. While he asks for the development of infrastructure in railways, a bullet train which has the latest technology will provide the same.
"Why Mumbai does not need a bullet train is a question which can be answered by Uddhavji himself. They (Railway) say it happened due to rains?"
The tragedy took place around 10.40 am when the foot over bridge, used by lakhs of people to commute to the commercial area with high-end corporate and media offices, was heavily crowded.
Morning chaos at a train station in India led to an all-out stampede.killing at least 22 people and leaving 35 injured, according to police. The railways employees joined the city in mourning the tragedy by not celebrating Dussehra festival.
Cartoonist Manjul had tweeted to the railways on February 1 this year about the crowds at Parel station, which connects with the Elphinstone bridge.
- Conte backs Hazard to light up Premier League and Champions League
- Russia, N Korea to discuss nuclear crisis in Moscow
- Tractor Blockades in Barcelona as Spain Seeks to Halt Vote
- Elite pass rushers, friends Khalil Mack, Von Miller meet again Sunday
- These two charts show what's wrong with Trump's tax proposal
- Mexico natural disaster : Children trapped in school WhatsApp parents
- Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Clemson vs. Virginia Tech
- Budget panel officially sidelines Obamacare repeal
- Korean atmospheric nuclear test prompts emergency plans in Seoul & Tokyo
- Trump says protests will hurt National Football League business