21-year-old lost out to Renault-bound team mate Carlos Sainz by less than two-tenths of a second.
Vettel, who started from the back of the grid after missing qualifying yesterday, displayed blistering pace throughout the race and broke Juan Pablo Montoya's long standing 2004 lap record of 1:34:223s with a 1:34:080s effort.
The victory comes a day after Verstappen's 20th birthday and ends a winless run dating to the Spanish Grand Prix last season, his first since being promoted to Red Bull from Toro Rosso. "We gave him his big break and he took it by winning his first race with us and now he has this brilliant win".
"I'm hoping it's not like this at the next few races".
"My vehicle was unbelievable, but if I had to speed up, I could. I had pace. If I needed to speed up, I speeded up", he added. "It is wonderful, a very tough race but of course it is incredible to win".
Lewis Hamilton didn't win the race, but it was kind of a win nonetheless.
The race started off with Kimi Raikkonen failing to make the start owing to an unfortunate technical problem allowing F1 leader Hamilton to move forward in the race for the championship. But just because the race had finished that didn't mean the drama was over for him.
Eighth and ninth were the Williams of Lance Stroll and Felipe Massa, with Force India's Esteban Ocon claiming 10th for Force India.
"We should have won today but we didn't have the pace". I feel good, but we have some work to do with the auto. We appreciate you guys having us and all the support you've given us. "We have to keep pushing", Hamilton said. I have no idea where it will be an issue and where it will be fine. "It´s very unfortunate for him, but of course we have to try to maximise on every opportunity that we get". "We need to get our stuff together", Bottas lamented.
"There´s no doubt this session was also a tough moment for Ferrari, with Sebastian unable to take part, but there are no points scored on Saturday", said Wolff.
The race seemed destined to play out without any late drama, but while TV cameras followed Verstappen on his way to the win and his celebration lap, Lance Stroll made contact with Vettel, who ended up with one of his wheels on top of his auto.
- Mauricio Pochettino expects Harry Kane to ensure he needs more superlatives
- Bestop Donates $6234 to American Cancer Society as Part of Project Pink
- Donald Trump waives restrictions on aid to hurricane-hit Puerto Rico
- Carr's back injury not serious
- Seahawks RB Chris Carson Carted Off With Apparent Broken Leg
- Dallas Cowboys: 3 Players with rising stock after Week 4
- Matt Luke reacts after Ole Miss 66-3 loss to #1 Alabama
- Guardiola purring after City victory
- What Authorities Found in the Vegas Shooter's Home
- IOS 11.0.1 Update Comes with More Bugs and Problems