The storm killed over 25 people in Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Honduras, causing landslides, floods, destroying bridges and homes.
Hurricane Nate's northern eyewall is moving onshore the MS coast.
Tornado warnings remain in place as the remnants of the storm move north towards NY this week.
It will stay warm and very muggy over the next couple of days.
The chaos did not end right there but the storm did make a second landfall as well in the region of Biloxi, in Mississippi.
A hurricane warning extends from New Orleans to Lake Pontchartrain and Grand Island, Louisiana, eastward to the Alabama-Florida border. There was a storm surge watch east of the Okaloosa/Walton county line to Indian Pass, Fla.
Tropical Storm Nate has slammed into the MS coast with powerful winds and torrential rains that flooded streets and highways throughout the region as the fast-moving former hurricane was expected to rapidly weaken as it moved inland.
US President Donald Trump declared federal emergencies in Alabama and Florida on Sunday, which provides additional funding for disaster relief.
"The mountains are going to see the worst of Nate", said Gardner.
The outer bands of the hurricane were expected to batter parts of the US Gulf Coast with tropical storm-force winds this evening, with the centre of the storm forecast to make landfall overnight, said US National Hurricane Centre (NHC) spokesman Dennis Feltgen.
"Nate is at our doorstep or will be soon", New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said on Saturday.
Cities along the MS coast such as Gulfport and Biloxi were on high alert.
Residents in areas outside New Orleans' levee system have been evacuated. About 2,000 people were affected.
Forecasters said the hurricane would be downgraded back to a tropical storm by Sunday morning local time.
The Columbus metro area was largely spared from the brunt of the storm, although isolated power outages were reported Saturday night and Sunday. Nate's center will make a second landfall along the coast of MS later Saturday.
About 5,000 people in southern Alabama were without power due to Nate, Alabama Power said.
- Track Hurricane Nate with webcams along the Gulf Coast
- Today in obvious headlines, Gal Gadot kissed Kate McKinnon on 'SNL'
- President Trump Reveals What He Told Mike Pence Before Today's NFL Game
- Chargers have hope after win, injured Giants have none
- Mighty Mouse Broke The UFC Title Defense Record With An Otherworldly Move
- Las Vegas gunman may have scouted Boston locations online, including Fenway
- Carson Wentz continues his hot start as Eagles drub Cardinals
- Las Vegas shooting suspect booked hotel overlooking Chicago's Lollapalooza festival, reports say
- Las Vegas shooter may have planned more attacks, including car bombing
- Spanish unionists: Catalonia is Spain